What steps are needed to paint particle board furniture?

I have a cube organizer I would like to repurpose. Needs to be painted. Currently wood grain look.

• Sandra Allen Sandra Allen on Jan 07, 2018
    Prime then paint the color you want. If you skip the priming step, you will use so much paint you might as well have done it with primer. Also, good paint helps.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jan 07, 2018
    Hi Bonn,
    I've painted particle board before. Everyone told me I couldn't do it because it was old and had some raised spots as well as some stains. I just thought "Watch me". First I cleaned it very good, then I sanded it with an electric sander to make it smooth. I used 60 grit at first, then moved to 100, then 220 grit. Then I first wiped it down with a damp rag or sponge. When that dried I used tack cloth to get anything that was missed. When it was finally smooth I painted it with 2 coats of Kilz primer. If you have any spots or stains on your piece, I highly recommend primer. I used to paint without primer, but I've learned my lesson. If I skipped it, I've ended up with spots that continued to come through the paint.

Last, but not least, I painted it with 2 coats of the latex paint that I chose.. Because this item was an old lazy susan that was in my 40 year old cupboards and got a lot of use, I also put on 2 coats of poly acrylic sealer. You may not need this step, however it depends on what is going inside those cubes. If anything that is going inside has hard edges, I would seal it anyway. It can't hurt and it will protect the paint for a longer time. You could also use some kind of decorative vinyl mats to protect the surface and make it look cute, but that's your decision. I wish you the best!