Front-Load washing machine

+5
My front-loader is about 8 years old. I still like it, but the rubber gasket is getting icky looking. I use Affresh tablets and Affresh wipes and I've done the clean cycle with bleach, but I can't get the black marks off. I leave the door ajar when not in use, but it is getting a smell, too. Can the gasket be replaced? What can I use to clean these marks off. I am afraid it might be a type of mold.

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 27, 2017
    Sounds like mold, I would just use a sponge and some ammonia on it, then rinse with water.

• Are you keeping the door open to dry when the wash load is finished? I've had mine for over 8 years, but do this every time I complete a load--no problems at all

• Flipturn Flipturn on Dec 27, 2017
    Have you given the whole rubber ring area a thorough cleaning lately? Wear rubber gloves, use bleach, lifting it up and stretching it gently. Over time, even with just normal use, wet lint and gunky water can accumulate in the folds.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 27, 2017
    The rubber gasket on a front loader is no different than the rubber gaskets used on refrigerators. They need to be cleaned to keep away the mold and mildew. Clean it with bleach water using a toothbrush the to get into any crevices. Rinse with vinegar to kill any spores that the bleach can clean but not kill. The stain may be permanent, but that doesn't mean you can't keep it from coming back. Try running a cycle with vinegar to see if it gets rid of the odor. Good luck. Have a Happy New Year.

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Dec 28, 2017
    I had this issue once- it was mold, i took an towel and lots of vinegar ( you can use bleach too) and scrubbed and scrubbed ( requires a lot of elbow grease) and from then on, i keep the door open when not in use to avoid new mold growth- I only had to do it once- good luck!