Garbage disposal will not turn but motor runs

+3
  • Mac6231 Mac6231 on Dec 24, 2017
    Look down inside the disposal. Every time that happened to me I found a coin jammed in it. A hard sliver of bone or other hard item could also do it. Try and pry the item from where it is jammed. There is also a hole on the bottom of the disposal where you can put an allen wrench and turn it by hand and hopefully back off the jam.

• Etet Etet on Dec 24, 2017
      All my disposals came with the tool (allen wrench) but they get lost. Any hardware store should have what you need and the access is under the sink on the disposal NOT inside the disposal. It is an easy fix. Just happens.

• V Smith V Smith on Dec 24, 2017
    Turn it off, push the reset button. Turn it on. If that doesn't work, turn it off and use a piece of dowel (like an old broom handle) while it is still off move the dowel in a circle, like you are stirring. Remove the dowel and push the reset button, turn it on. If that doesn't work it's broken and you need a new one.

• Judy Judy on Dec 24, 2017
    A handy man will have to look at that, or put some ice down it, and then turn it on. Maybe something is stuck down there, and hasn't been used for awhile. I do ours weekly, for we do not use it alot, but somewhat. Be careful, J.

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 24, 2017
    If the wrench doesn't work in the bottom of the unit, and you've stuck a little flashlight down into disposal and nothing is wedged in there, I was taught to use a wooden broom handle against the bottom edge and turn it, frequently this works when nothing else does. If that doesn't work, its time for a new one probably. I called a plumber and had a new unit I purchased just in case, and it was toast so for the price of the 1st hr. he installed the new one.