Mold/Mildew smell GE Profile HE washer

+8
i’ve owned the GE Profile washer and dryer for 5 years. After several loads of wash, there’s a mold/mildew smell in the air, and I’ve used Tide Washing Machine cleaner which solves the problem. I’ve never left wet clothes in the washer, always keep the lid up when not in use. Today, after doing a Tub Clean cyle, while wiping everything down, I discovered dark mold collecting in both the soap and softener trays. I use liquid detergent and softener.

The trays are now soaking in bleach.

Several friends tell me they have the same problem, and it’s just the nature of the beast (high efficiency washers).

Are there others out there with a good resolution?

Jill

• Sandra Crosbie Sandra Crosbie on Dec 29, 2017
    I also have this problem with a front loading washing machine. I use thick bleach every few months on a very hot wash cycle. I've also changed from drawer dispensed liquid to liquid tabs which go into the machine before the clothes are loaded. It has helped with the mould problem in the drawer , but I still have to steep the drawer in a basin with bleach/ lime scale solution to remove the residue from fabric softener. It's not a pleasant smell, when eau de mould greets you when you open your washing machine, the machine you are putting your laundry in to make it smell clean.!!! Hopefully someone, somewhere will come up with a magic fix for this little problem.😔🌠🌲

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 29, 2017
    I have had HE washers since they came out years ago, but only top loaders. I am on my second one and have never had a mold problem yet. If you have a front loader, clean the door gasket with bleach water to keep the mold and mildew out of there, just like you do with the fridge. When you are done cleaning any areas that have mold or mildew, do a final rinse with vinegar to kill any spores that are left. The bleach doesn't kill the spores the way vinegar does. The longer you leave it on the better it works.

• See 1 previous
      Vinegar has great antibacterial and antifungal properties. It is used in home for medical supplies that can be reused numerous times. It is soaked in vinegar water for fifteen minutes or so and then rinsed. Vinegar basically sterilizes what it touches, hence the warning I give people when they talk about using it on weeds in the garden, it will sterilize any thing it touches including the soil to kill the weeds and sterile soil won't grow anything until it normalizes itself again and rebuilds the bacteria and all to be able to grow things. It also helps with degreasing and takes any soap left on things off.

• Karin Andreasen Karin Andreasen on Dec 29, 2017
    If you leave the washer lid open or unlatched it lets airflow in. No mold or mildew smell keeps it dry

• Jill Jill on Dec 29, 2017
      Hi Karin - thanks for your reply. My washer's a top loader and I always leave the top open after every load of laundry, wipe it clean. I don't understand the mold build up in the dispensers, but I'll know to check more often now.

• Lynne Carole Lynne Carole on Dec 29, 2017
    i just read to use white vinegar alone through a very hot wash! Good luck!!

• Kim Kim on Dec 29, 2017
    To prevent mold, It is best to dry out wet gaskets and dispenser wells after the last load of the day. Every time you do laundry. The same as you change the lint filter.
    To clean the Mold, pick Bleach or Vinegar, not both. They form a toxic cloud when mixed.
    😊

• Ken Ken on Dec 29, 2017
    Just a thought... What is the relative humidity in the laundry room? I keep my basement laundry at 50% RH year 'round. This gives the washer the chance to dry between loads. No issue with mold in my front loader.

There is a company that makes a small fan that you position near the washer door to circulate air when the washer is not in use. It features magnets that hold it on the cabinet wherever you place it. Using it in a room with controlled humidity there is no way that mold can grow.

• Tex7298507 Tex7298507 on Dec 30, 2017
    parging basement walls

• Jill Jill on Dec 30, 2017
    Many thanks to fellow Home talkers. I plan to keep after any moisture between laundry loads. My laundry room‘s off the kitchen, so I wouldn’t think humidity is a contributing factor; however, I’m going to try all the recommendations.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR from a Cincinnati Hometalker!