Asked on Aug 10, 2018

How to I fix a leaking window air conditioner that ruined my wall

Bwloves Goodman
by Bwloves Goodman

This in a mobile home. My daughter moved and this is what we found. The whole room needs to be redone but this is a problem.

Thank you


  6 answers
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Aug 10, 2018

    The overflow outlet is probably plugged.

  • Judy Judy on Aug 10, 2018

    The moisture from the unit dropped down the wall. If you have wood under the window unit,

    is it sticking out further than the unit?

    The water needs to escape and evaporate.

    The water maybe coming out of the unit as it’s supposed to but then drips down onto your support and goes on and into your wall.

    Shorten up the support of this is safe to do.

    Does that make sense?

  • Timothy Williams Timothy Williams on Aug 11, 2018

    The window AC unit has to be properly drained, meaning it has to have the drain hole on the bottom outer side clear and unrestricted and the unit has to be pitched or leaning towards this drain. The water (condensation) will naturally leak towards the pitch of the appliance in your case the wall.

  • Bobbie Garrison Bittle Bobbie Garrison Bittle on Aug 11, 2018

    I agree with the previous answers but will add that the sheeting on the inside of the wall will need to be removed. There is a high degree of probability that you will find water in the insulation behind the wall and mold. This will also need to be addressed.

  • Sherry King Sherry King on Aug 12, 2018

    Tip the part outside down, window airconditions.need to be installed at a down angle . The leak is normal, it should be dripping outside from the back.if installed correctly.

  • Nursejnm Nursejnm on Aug 18, 2018

    I think Bobbie is the only one that addressed the question. You need to fix the wall. Whatever the material is, it needs to be removed. I guarantee the insulation is ruined and will need to be replaced. As for the AC unit...needs to tip out for drainage. I messed this up one year and all the water went behind the drywall. What a mess. The only way to fix is replace. Good luck.