Need to reinsulate my 30 year old home.

+3
Areas have become so cold. Interior of cupboards that are on the southwest side. An addition that was never insulated. Best product on the market for this project.

• Dfm Dfm on Dec 29, 2017
    There is a type of insulation that can be blown in, or the walls could be opened and batt insulation installed.

• Ken Ken on Dec 29, 2017
    I've recently seen advertisements for a company that can inject expanding foam into finished walls. If you can afford it, it is definitely the way to go.

• Dfm Dfm on Dec 29, 2017
    Have you checked your base boards for gaps and cracks? How about arround plumbing, electrical sockets...arround windows? Rope caulk is realitivly cheap....and flexible you can seal a Window with it, pull off the caulk and open the window Come spring. In this 50’s fixer...I went thru about 6 rolls of the stuff. Nothing had been caulked properly. We won’t talk about the duct work for the furnace...yup no tapering had been done....just doing those measures has improved the amount of warm air coming from the furnace. A previous house one of the cats dislodged a hot air duct...oops. a lot colder...

• If water lines are in these cabinets, leave the doors open so warmer air gets inside, especially at night. If you do not want to open up the walls and replace the plaster board, check out blown-in insulation. Get estimates from local companies, ask first if they give free estimates because many do. This is not a job most homeowners can do for themselves because you probably cannot rent the equipment to blow the insulation into the walls. In the meantime cover windows with the plastic sheets that home centers sell just to put over the windows and add some insulating drapes to the windows. Make sure the widows are well glazed and caulked around the top and sides (not a job until weather is warm at night because these products will not set in cold temperatures. ) If the addition is on a slab, some wall-to-wall carpeting would help warm the room. You stated the age of the house but is the addition as old as the house?

• Darla Burley Darla Burley on Dec 29, 2017
    I had insulation blown into the walls of my home and a rental. It make a world of difference. Well worth the cost. Insulated the houses plus drastically cut down the noise of traffic on a busy street. I was interested in the foam insulation but one house is a 1926 cottage...and I was afraid of it cracking the walls.

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Dec 29, 2017
    The blown insulation is really good stuff...not sure about expense.