Asked on Mar 07, 2016

How to fix loose drywall tape?

by Pam
Does anyone know how to repair the joint tape that gets mudded over when drywall is installed. I have several places throughout my home where this tape is coming loose. This is in area that have the splotched spackle look and that has been previously painted.
  11 answers
  • Jonnie Hammon Jonnie Hammon on Mar 08, 2016
    Super glue it back into place, then spackle it. Use thin layers, and feather out., sand the areas that show spackle, then repaint.
  • Wally Wally on Mar 08, 2016
    Use a hypo and shoot some glue, or paste, to get back behind the tape.
  • MARY MARY on Mar 08, 2016
    Do it right and remove the one that falling down and redo it.
    • See 2 previous
    • Pam Pam on Mar 08, 2016
      @Pam OK, Thanks!! I will check into that
  • Kerry Kerry on Mar 08, 2016
    I agree with Dad was a wallpaper installer...and always had a large needle (16 or18) gauge and a syringe. If there was a bubble he would put some wallpaper past in the syringe and shoot it into the bubble...problem fixed. you could use just some elmers white glue for yours. If you have a co-op or Tractor supply Co. in your area they carry the needles .
  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Mar 08, 2016
    I agree with Mary! If you are not talented with spackling, you may want to get a handyman...ask for references!
  • Leslie Farris Leslie Farris on Mar 08, 2016
    Mary has your answer, do the job the right way.
  • Johnchip Johnchip on Mar 08, 2016
    Doing it right is not that difficult.
  • Pam Pam on Mar 08, 2016
    I appreciate all the help and comments that have been given
  • Lynda Marchese Lynda Marchese on Mar 08, 2016
    Cut out the loose sections with a razor blade and re-tape (if a large area) or just re-coat with compound, sand and prime.
  • 9530106 9530106 on Mar 08, 2016
    I have done this many times! I pull the tape up just enough to apply some drywall mud underneath-overfill it. Then use a large putty knife to smooth it out. Sand when dry, then use the tip of a paint brush and some of the same patching plaster to recreate your texture. You can buy small containers of patching plaster. It works well, and I have had great results!
  • Pamela Langone Pamela Langone on Mar 08, 2016
    Id fix it the right way. But a little glue and paint as long as it isn't bad. If you cant have it done. Or unable to do your self