Bathroom Outlet Always Trips

+1
Ever since we moved into our house, our upstairs bathroom outlet trips. It used to trip when I plugged a vacuum into that socket. (Now I plug it in somewhere else.) It recently tripped when my daughter plugged a blow dryer there. The two bathrooms upstairs and the kitchen are on the same circuit - my husband got the outlet to work by resetting the GFCI outlets in the kitchen. He says to just get a lower wattage blow dryer (it’s a standard 1875) but I think we should hire an electrician. Should we be worried about the outlet?

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jan 08, 2018
    The kitchen being on the same circuit just may be too much for that outlet. Perhaps talk to an electrician and see if it needs to be changed to a different circuit or something. The outlet, being in a bathroom should be a GFCI outlet anyway.

• William William on Jan 08, 2018
    With both bathrooms and kitchen being on the same circuit it's no wonder the breaker trips. Wattage is not the problem. Amperage is the problem. Whether there is a 15 Amp or 20 Amp breaker anything plugged in above the Amperage will trip the breaker. Just think the fridge is always on and the amperage it draws when the compressor turns on. Turn on a microwave, dishwasher and the breaker trips. Blow dryer in the bathroom and the fridge kicks in breaker can trip. Hire an electrician to separate the two baths and kitchen on individual breakers if your circuit box has the space.

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Jan 09, 2018
    I would hire an electrician to find out why the kitchen and the bathroom are on the same breaker. It should be changed so that it has its own with a GFI.

• Linda Cabler Linda Cabler on Jan 09, 2018
    Replace the outlet. Being careful and remember to throw the breaker first.