Replacing a fluorescent light fixture

The home we just purchased has a large fluorescent light fixture in the middle of the kitchen ceiling what can I do to replace
  7 answers
  • Z Z on Jan 21, 2014
    Is it a recessed fixture Joan?

  • Joan K Joan K on Jan 21, 2014
    Becky, Thanks for your reply. No I don't believe it is recessed. It's about 2'-3' long and about 10" wide.

  • Cathy Twilley Cathy Twilley on Jan 22, 2014
    can lighting recessed in the ceiling or track lighting

  • Lynne W Lynne W on Jan 22, 2014
    Just like other light fixtures, there is a 4" hole in the ceiling where 3 wires come from. The 2-3' feet of fixture is probably secured to the ceiling with 2 screws. To remove it, start with cover and bulbs, you should see the screws holding it to the ceiling, remove those. There should be a black, white and ground wire from the fixture into the ceiling. You're ready!

  • Susan hupp Susan hupp on Jan 22, 2014
    Replace it with another light fixture, what ever you like. The wiring is the same, three wires one should be black, one white and a ground wire (copper). If you need a how to video try (You tube).

  • Joan K Joan K on Jan 22, 2014
    Thanks for all your input!

  • Retro Steam Works Retro Steam Works on Jan 23, 2014
    I agree with Lynne and Susan, I had the same issue and easily replaced it with a ceiling fan...