I ironed a thick piece of upholstery on my nice dining room table.

+4
the steam damaged the finish. It now has a cloudy white area. I waxed it and and that did not help. How can I fix this?

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jan 09, 2018
    Hi Leona,
    You must feel sad about this but there are some answers. I found an article on Tip Nut that has a lot of ideas. She starts of with her first solution, then adds from the comments other people have about her method. Below that she also adds some other ideas, so please read the whole article. I hope one of these ideas works for you. Wishing you the best.

• Lisa S. Lisa S. on Jan 09, 2018
    Some of the white spot you have is wax (and some of the finish) that is on the surface. Some have been successful with regular mayonnaise rubbing it on, rubbing it off.
    I have used this product for similar spots, but not as large as you are talking about. Try a product called Restore-A-Finish". Comes in a variety of finishes to match all woods. About $9.00 for a can at hardware stores / Home Depot. Wear gloves and old clothing. Use a soft cloth and rub with the grain in a small area, then move on to another area. Then wipe off with a second soft cloth. You may have to go over it a few times. Then after you get done, wax on top. This is a great product to keep on hand for fine furniture as it covers spots, and "fixes" problems. For me it has been better than "Old English".

• MarieS MarieS on Jan 09, 2018
    I used mayonnaise once. Leave it on overnight.

• Cef10597906 Cef10597906 on Jan 09, 2018
    Yes, use an iron with a linen dish towel. Set the iron on a warm setting but NO STEAM. Lay the linen towel down and place iron on top gently moving back and forth. Keep checking and rubbing the towel over the white spot. Continue until the water/white spot is gone. Go slow. I stopped overnight and checked the next morning. The spot will dry more once you stop. If not, continue the process.