Asked on Apr 20, 2019

How do I fix the look of twisted porch posts?

by Jackie

When we built our 60 ft long porch onto the front of the house a number of years ago, we were assured by the local home improvement that the 4 x 4 square porch posts were dry and would not twist. Needless to say, some twisted and bowed so that they are such an eyesore. What can we use to cover them to make them more appealing?

  2 answers
  • R Walter R Walter on Apr 20, 2019

    Wrap them in hardie board then use trim pieces at the top and bottom of the columns to cover any gaps. You may have to make the covers a bit larger than the post to account for any alignment issues. Another alternative is to replace the posts. Here is a link of what to do and you can also use pvc if your home improvement store provides it for the trim. good luck

    • Jackie Jackie on Apr 20, 2019

      Thank you for your response! What is "hardie" board? I don't think replacing them is possible, they are tied into horizontal boards running the length of the porch roof. I appreciate your help.

  • R Walter R Walter on Apr 20, 2019

    James Hardie is the mfg. it is a cement board that has wood grain in it that is used for siding and trim on homes. It is almost indestructible being both impervious to water, chewing rodents, and insects. here is a link that will describe it. Hardie board comes in different widths, but like I said earlier, if the posts are too warped you may have to remove and replace them.