How do you repair a small tear in a decorative antique ceiling?

+1
House is 200 years old - appears that movers caught edge of a dining room hutch on ceiling and caused tear

• Gale Allen Jenness Gale Allen Jenness on Jan 01, 2018
    Little hard to give any advice without seeing or knowing what material your damaged area is made of? It could be as easy as filling in the area with some paintable silicone and shaping it to the design of your molding, etc. then painting when dry. Or it could get more involved depending how large the damage is? When you say tear it makes me think of a fabric materia, is that what it is or is this wood?

• Joyce Nadeau Joyce Nadeau on Jan 01, 2018
    It is a tin ceiling -

• Lane1021 Lane1021 on Jan 02, 2018
    I had this problem in one of our rentals . . . Luckily there was the same ceiling treatment in a closet so, I first, very carefully and using a template, cut out the bad patch that had the booboo then cut the same sized piece out of the closet ceiling. Don't know your situation but I had to glue a piece of 'backing' up into the booboo area before I could then glue the patch in. Then mixed my artists acrylic paints to match and touched up the cut lines. I can't even find the patch now When I look for it. Be sure to match up patterns if there are any. This sounds crazy but once, another place/another time, same problem, I photographed an unblemished area, printed it and replaced the bad area with the photo. It's not as if there's ever any traffic on the ceiling so you don't have to be concerned about a patch 'holding up.'

• Joyce Nadeau Joyce Nadeau on Jan 02, 2018
    Thank you for the good advice!