My driveway is sinking on one side. Can anyone help?

by Him8759900
Also the steps have separated from the driveway.
  9 answers
  • Larry shriver Larry shriver on May 24, 2017

    Your post doesn't say where you live, but in a lot of areas you can find people who will raise sunken sidewalks, driveways, etc............they do it by injecting a slurry underneath until the slab has been raised to the original height. The process is called " mudjacking ", so look in your phone book to see if there is anyone in your area who does it.

    I had considered calling to see what they would charge me to refill the holes around my foundation that the groundhogs had made. Good luck.

  • Jan14418143 Jan14418143 on May 24, 2017

    We have had half a long drive done with this slurry and it worked great

  • Kapiteinterzee Kapiteinterzee on May 24, 2017

    I agree with Larryshriver on the solution. Just a note to clarify that there are companies that us plastic injection as opposed to cement slurry injection to raise cement slabs. And by the way, your situation is not unique - thousands of older homes (and some new ones too) across the nation have settling slabs due to poor soil compaction, sinkholes, wells lowering the water table and poor pouring techniques. Good luck!

    • Leslie welch Leslie welch on May 25, 2017

      The foam mud jacking is quick and easy and surprisingly neat if you have access to a company that does it in your area.

  • Kimm Massengill Kimm Massengill on May 24, 2017

    You also might want to figure out what is causing the sinking. Water may be running out of the gutter above the spot and causing erosion, or the downspout in the picture may be misdirecting the water or not directing it far enough out which could also cause erosion. Next time it rains, take a look at where and how the water is flowing. If it's pouring right over the gutter, it could be either that the gutter is plugged there, or the shingles on the roof were laid so that they hang too far over the gutter which means the water is coming down the roof and shooting over the gutter to hit the driveway. That problem can be fixed by cutting back the shingles to the proper spot. If it's the downspout, you may have to lengthen it to have the water better go down the driveway and not beside/under it. Good luck!

  • Karen Andersen Karen Andersen on May 25, 2017

    Foundation Support Works out of LaVista Ne will give you info on dealers close to you. Great company !

  • Garebear Garebear on May 25, 2017

    Call a concrete pumping company and they can fix it,

  • Sharon Sharon on May 25, 2017

    Yes I think its your gutter too. I would first go to the hardware store and buy an extension for the bottom to extend out further,,, you can also relocate the gutter to another area of the front.

    As to the step, if it looks like erosion, I would try to stuff some gravel under there until it levels out.

  • Cheryl Biermann Cheryl Biermann on May 26, 2017

    My son had a similar problem. First he had to fix the water runoff which contributed to the problem, then a company cam in and "mud jacked" it with concrete slurry as noted above.

  • Angela Conlin Angela Conlin on Jun 06, 2017

    Easy fix-Hire a concrete expert who will lift up sunken driveway and offer suggestions.