A foul smell similar to a light Sewer smell that comes & goes

+3
With no rhyme or reason this light sewer smell has been present for many years on and off. I’ve had a half dozen plumbers attempt to figure it out. One Plummer cut several holes in my bathroom, bedroom and washer dryer walls thinking it was a gas leak.
Can you help?

• KASSY KASSY on Dec 29, 2017
    I JUST HAD MY PEE TRAP BLOWN OUT. HE USED A SHOP VAC. PLUMERS....THIS WAS THE ONLY THING HE DID RIGHT IN MY FIXER UPPER $$$$$.

• V Smith V Smith on Dec 29, 2017
    Every plumbing fixture must have a trap so that sewer gas cannot get into the house. If you have a copper wasteline that has a trap encased in concrete (like at the laundry site or in a 1st floor shower) there is a possibility that it has a leak. Concrete will eventually eat thru copper. You may need to chart when you wash clothes or shower and when the smell comes back. If your trap is compromised it could be leaking water slowly under the slab. It is not a lot of water but once the trap is empty of water it is no longer a gas trap.

• Liz17008349 Liz17008349 on Dec 30, 2017
    Had a similar situation and tried everything. Plumber came and used plunger on sink. The amount of gunge that built up on the pipes and that drain cleaner did not touch was shocking. If double sink fill both sides with hot water and then plunge away. Since he did this the smell had gone. He recommended after each use or at the least once a week after doing the dishes and draining the sink, fill it half way with hot water and let it drain. This should flush any soap and food build up

• Kat8686523 Kat8686523 on Dec 30, 2017
    It could be Sewer Gas. Barometric Pressure can sometimes force it back down the vent pipe. If you have a basement with a floor drain, try pouring a couple gallons of water down it when that happens.

• Sharon Sharon on Jan 03, 2018
    Hi, I have the same thing. Plumber came and checked everything out and found nothing. He said to use vinegar and baking soda every month, I do this and the smell has gone, it has been almost a year now and no more smell. I use 1 cup of baking soda, pour it down the drain, 1/2 cup vinegar, pour it on top of the baking soda, wait about 5 minutes then flush with really hot water. Good luck, it worked for me so hopefully it will work for you to.

• Margie Margie on Jan 10, 2018
    If you have bathroom or sink that you use infrequently , the water that usually is in the sewer trap to block the sewer gases may have dried up. Try making sure that you run water in all sinks etc. once ever couple of weeks.