Sunk pump hose aimed at my home, floods my yard and basement.Need Help

Neighbor has their sunk pump hose aimed at my home. That floods my yard and basement. Please help me to correct this major problem.

  9 answers
  • Dianne Bowers Turner Dianne Bowers Turner on Nov 14, 2017
    Call your city hall and ask them. They should be able to point you in the right direction for your area.

  • Gail Gail on Nov 14, 2017
    speak to the neighbor face to face and ask their help with the solution. if that doesn't work contact your home insurance company, explain what you have done and ask their help with a solution. since the insurance company will have a 'dog in the fight' so to speak, they can give solutions we haven't thought of. you could also contact your local building inspector. they can go to the neighbor with an official status and explain the difficulty. in your municipality it may be illegal to discharge water in that manner. apparently they have water issues or they wouldn't be using a sump pump.

  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Nov 14, 2017
    Have you spoken to the neighbor?

  • Judy Judy on Nov 14, 2017
    Talk to your neighbor, or move it. Their hose can't come too close to your yard. So, be wise, and ask a man from the city to help you. They will truly help you, and advise you what to do. Can you move their hose away from your home? Like to move the slant of drainage to a back area of drainage? Just a idea, tho I would call a city man, first. Best wishes, J.

  • Bijous Bijous on Nov 14, 2017
    Your neighbor probably doesn't even know this is happening to you. Invite them over for coffee and explain what's happening. I'll bet they'll move it immediately.

  • Barbara C Barbara C on Nov 14, 2017
    Your area should have a code dept. to handle this for you.Call your local city or county code enforcement. Dept. This runoff is against code in other places.

  • Pg Pg on Nov 14, 2017
    It is usually against the law to drain anything onto a neighboring property. Yes, contact your city now.

  • Linda Linda on Nov 14, 2017
    I would contact my city or local municipality, (311). I am sure a neighbor cannot legally affect your enjoyment of the property and would also be liable for any damage they cause.

  • LorriLJ LorriLJ on Nov 14, 2017
    If local by-laws don't cover this issue contact an excavation company and have a berm installed.