How can I replace or fix light covers for floor lamp?

+12
I have had the floor lamps for many years and really like them. The floor lamps each have 5 lights, the shades are plastic...a few of them with age have become brittle and cracked...I would like to replace them but have not been able to find anything to replace them... they have a a closed end with a circle cut out off them so that they can be attached to the lamp. I have seen glass shades but the end that attaches to the lamp is open so doesnt’t work..Any sugesstions would be greatly appreciated.
q how can i replace or fix light covers for floor lamp
  • Chris aka monkey Chris aka monkey on Mar 12, 2018
    target has a 5 light floor lamp for 19.99 you might check it out they may fit your lamp hope this helps xx

• Flipturn Flipturn on Mar 13, 2018
    Monica, where in Canada are you? There are no longer any Target stores in Canada.

• Garabell Garabell on Mar 13, 2018
    If you open to create your own design and not trying to copy the existing one, you could look for plastic cups - in party sections there are definitely some unique colours and shapes.. usually you can cut the bottom of them with scissors to make the perfect opening to fit your lamp. Another suggestions: nail varnish is an excellent paint for plastic (even hardens the surface) or stay with some opaque or full cover spray paint. Hope it helps and good luck xx

• Megan Megan on Mar 13, 2018
    I have made shades for floor lamps using metal candle holders or even pen/pencil cups. They don't have to be expensive, and you can spray them any color you want. Find a metal candle holder or pencil cup that has a nice cut out pattern, paint it and drill a hole in the bottom the same size as the hole in the bottom of the floor lamp shades.

Another option is actual lamp shades for small lamps. You can find ones that have a washer that holds them on the lamp that is about the same size as the hole in the bottom of your floor lamp shade. You could decorate them to your style. May be a little funky, but you could make them work. Good Luck!

• Joyce Holden Joyce Holden on Mar 13, 2018
    Try the dollar store or yard sales to get vases, larger bowls or a set of china. All you would have to do is use a large drill bit that is made for glass and drill a hole in the bottom of the vases to allow the light bulb to be attached.

• Gale Allen Jenness Gale Allen Jenness on Mar 13, 2018
    Those Glass shades you mentioned that I believe your saying the hole in the bottom of the shade is too big to fit your exis lamp. If I’m correct in my understanding? What I have done in this case in the past is to go to the hardware and look for a metal washer big enough to cover the larger hole in the glass shade but still have a inside hole that will fit my lamp. Then I just glue the metal washer to the inside of the glass shade to make it work. You can also make your own washer out of 1/4” plywood as long as your light don’t put off too much heat and glue a wood washer inside the shade too. Same goes with a heavier piece of plastic. Whatever you prefer to enclose the bottom of the glass shade and make whatever size hole you really need? I’ve successfully pulled this off on several glass shades in the past and had no problems with them. Just make sure you get a glue that will stick to the glass and whatever material your using for a washer. You can also paint the washer too if you desire to! But on my lights the washer was completely hidden so there was no need to try to paint them! Hope this helps giving you another way to use different glass shades. I always say, if there’s a will there’s a way and I’ll usually figure it out one way or another! sometimes have to think outside of the box to come up with other solutions, but give up! Best of luck!

• Val Val on Mar 13, 2018
    decided to take my lamp outside and make it into a solar light for on the deck

• Deanna Nassar Deanna Nassar on Mar 13, 2018
    You could cover them with some material that would hide the holes. When you get the shades replaced look for LED light bulbs. They create less heat and don't dry them out as bad. You could also look on pulsetv.com to get great prices on this type of bulb. And no I do not work for them; just buy a lot of stuff. And the LED bulbs are rated at 25,000 hours and give more light.

• Chris aka monkey Chris aka monkey on Mar 14, 2018
    wow bonnie you hit the nail on the head with these, they look like an exact match and 15 bucks for 5 shades is a dang fine price too xx

• Flipturn Flipturn on Mar 14, 2018
    Regarding the lightbulb cage: When used with an incandescent bulb I can see the purpose being to protect getting burned from touching the bulb. But if using LED light bulbs that do not get hot, what would then be the purpose of using a cage? They do not diffuse the light from any bulb the way the original plastics covers function.

• Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Jan 12, 2021

I got lucky and found some at Salvation Army. You might post an ISO (In search of) on your local Craig's List and FB Marketplace.