How can I replace or fix this ? Over stove microwave vent cover brkn

by Rr

My microwave is over 20 years old and works great. Over time the heat must have dried out the grill cover and as you see. The thin bars break if touched. When I hold a corner of it, so it will not fall down when I open the micro door. I put duct tape over this to keep it attached as the part on top to keep the entire vent cover secured, broke, It was brittle from heat. I looked for a replacement and no ones to be found. (Sharp Carousel R-1380) not even on Ebay. If anyone has any ideas, I'm game. If I removed the vent, I need to cover it with something that allows the heat to come through. I am a senior on a fixed income and want to make this look better and work

the plastic part of the grill is brittle and breaks easily. I have to hold the corner of the grill so it does not fall off when I open the micro-wave door. any slight touch, it breaks

the entire grill is 4 x 30.

  14 answers
  • J Brown J Brown on Nov 16, 2020

    Did you try for replacement parts? sometime your used appliance stores will have extra parts. I know that grill is probably almost $75 new. I'm not sure but you may be able to use a part from another model??

    good luck

  • Cheryl A Cheryl A on Nov 16, 2020

    here is info on parts- I don't think this can be fixed it is brittle and will continue to break off so hope this helps you out

    • Rr Rr on Nov 16, 2020

      I just called the companies and still no part. no longer being made and no substitute, even other companies as they all work in the same circle for parts

  • Cheryl A Cheryl A on Nov 16, 2020

    Rr I googled the info you gave above for the model and had numerous places come up for replacement parts -

    • See 1 previous
    • Cheryl A Cheryl A on Nov 17, 2020

      have you tried going to or calling used appliance stores? maybe they have what you are looking for

  • GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Nov 16, 2020

    I'm wondering with a little creativity what your local hardware store might have for plastic grates that you could cut to size? Might be worth just browsing around a place like Home depot etc.

  • Rr Rr on Nov 16, 2020

    I can only try. Our HD, is hard to even flag down a person to help. Really.

  • William William on Nov 17, 2020

    Agreed. The grill cover is no longer available. My suggestion would be to check Menard's, Home Depot, or Lowes in the HVAC aisles for grills that can be attached or modified to work. They would be metal but would serve the purpose. Also Menard's and Home Depot carry decorative metal sheets that can be modified.

  • J Brown J Brown on Nov 18, 2020

    Rr, where are you located? I often see MW discarded curbside in our area. we have rental property and always on the lookout for frequently broken parts.

  • Dee Dee on Nov 19, 2020

    I would go to Home depot and lowes to see if they sell any plastic grates. Or Hobby Lobby sells aluminum grates that could be cut to size. I think you are going to have to be creative with this. You may even find some plastic at the Dollar store that can be cut.

  • Alice Alice on Nov 19, 2020

    Do you really need the cover? If not - just remove it and keep the area clean.

  • Holly Lengner - Lost Mom Holly Lengner - Lost Mom on Nov 20, 2020

    I agree that asking for help at your local hardware store might be the best bet. Take in photos of the microwave and the measurements of the cover so you can brainstorm on how to replace the cover.

  • Dee Dee on Nov 21, 2020

    I thought of you when I was at Lowes yesterday and saw some really pretty sheet metal, with a nice pattern. Comes in Silver and bronze. It can be cut down to fit on top of your microwave and would be removable for cleaning.

    • Rr Rr on Dec 26, 2020

      Thank you. I just saw your comment. Ill get to Lowes tomorrow!

  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Nov 22, 2020

    Hi! Try a locally owned hardware store for assistance. It isn't very large, and I'm sure you could find something attractive to replace the old plastic. Another thought is to try local thrift stores. I see all kinds of stuff there. Good luck!

  • Jarret Jarret on Aug 06, 2021

    Probably you can't fix it. get a new one