How to block the pieces of down coming through the lining of a coat?

+5

Many bits of down are coming through the lining of my down coat and sticking to my clothes. Any ideas about how to "seal" the synthetic lining?

• Patricia Stover Hobbs Patricia Stover Hobbs on Jan 30, 2019

anti fray or no fray in sewing section. turn coat inside out and apply to seams

• Em Em on Jan 30, 2019

The down bits don't just come out of the seams. I had a coat like this and it only started doing this after I had it dry cleaned. If it was filled with small pieces of down as opposed to feathers, short of having a lining added on top of the old lining I have no idea. I donated the coat to a shelter for the homeless as I have had many other down coats and only the one did that. All down will have an occasional feather poke thru but the one left ME looking like a duck every time I took my coat off.

• Oliva Oliva on Jan 30, 2019

You can purchase "Tenacious Tape" from better sporting goods stores such as R.E.I.

It's costly, but nothing else works as well or as long. It comes in different colors, but the black tape works best.

• Luci Hedley Luci Hedley on Feb 02, 2019

i know where you are coming from with this problem. i have no advice, but thought i would tell you about my down sleeping bag. i was involved in Scouting and spent many a cold night out in a tent, but each morning my tent looked like i had killed a chook there. not a good look, i ditched the sleeping bag for a new modern one. unfortunately, they didn't 'breath' like the down ones. your story just bought back memories for me. thank you.

• Deb K Deb K on Dec 13, 2021

Hi Gayle, hope this helps you out, pop the jacket in your dryer to fluff the feathers and prevent shedding. If your down jacket is shedding a lot and looks a bit limp, put it in your dryer with a few tennis balls. Use the lowest heat setting and let it run for just a few minutes. The heat expands and fluffs the feathers so they're less likely to leak

• Annie Annie on Jan 30, 2022

Sounds like the lining is wore out. Perhaps take coat to a seamstress and have a new lining put in

• Flipturn Flipturn on Mar 01, 2022

Em is right that unfortunately, all down coats are not alike in that not all are filled with pure down. Some are filled with feathers as well which can pierce the lining, and contribute to other bits of the down filling coming out.

Also, a lining made from thinner weight and less dense fabric could also be part of the cause of the filling working its way out.

Solution: the coat needs a new lining.