How do I change a hinge on a wood burner door?

+2

I have to change a hinge on my wood burner door as the top one has snapped.I cant crack the screws. Would it be better done when the woodburner is hot?

• Rebecca Taylor Rebecca Taylor on Feb 07, 2019

Hi Jan, I know my brother would use heat to loosen bolts on cars so it should work the same way for screws.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Feb 07, 2019

Hi Jan,

It might come loose if it's warmed, but not so hot that that it will burn you. You might also try WD-40. Put some on the screws and let it sit but DON'T fire it up. Make sure you clean up the WD-40 after you remove the screws so that it doesn't catch fire. Wishing you the best.

• Kathy Kathy on Feb 08, 2019

Coke will loosen rusted screws, we poured it on screws that had been out in the weather for about 15 years let it sit for about 10-15 minutes and “TADA” loose screws

• Stephen Justin Stephen Justin on Feb 10, 2019

Try those ideas, but in a burner situation, I think it’d save you a lot of frustration by drilling down the center of the bolt with progressively larger drill bits, until the bolt/screw head pops off. Remember your safety glasses!

• Cindy Cindy on Feb 10, 2019

Hi Jan. I'm Cindy. I agree with the above statements. Wait till the burner is warm, not hot. Be sure to wear heavy duty gloves and safety glasses for this project. The bolt should come out easier than when it is cool. Good luck Jan.