Does anyone have experience with shower handle replacement?

We have a Moen valve in our shower. We are trying to update, but the only handles we can find to replace the old one are spin handles (we do not want to go with the same handle). I am soooo confused out which handle goes with which valve. The valves look the same as ours in the picture, but ours is a pull out valve and the others are rotate only.

  8 answers
  • Ken Ken on Oct 17, 2017
    Yes, I have done just what you describe. If you can determine that you have the Posi-Temp series valve, which is the only one Moen has been making for some time, there are many choices and all are identified as Posi-Temp.

    Unfortunately, I think that the pull and turn is an older valve and there aren't a lot out there, at least from what I have seen. A local plumber may be your best source for advice and possible replacement parts. This is the down side of purchasing good stuff. It lasts longer than cosmetic service parts are readily available.

  • Rebecca Boney Huss Rebecca Boney Huss on Oct 17, 2017
    Well, I've just determined that I have what is called a "standard" set up. Not Moentrol or Posi Temp. Supposedly there is a conversion piece from Standard to Moentrol/Positemp, but the handle options are still no good hehe!

  • Susan Allen Susan Allen on Oct 17, 2017
    Does Moen have life time replacement? I just call the plumber and he gets the replacement and puts it in for me. I am not sure the brand, sorry.

  • Flipturn Flipturn on Oct 17, 2017
    Rebecca, I know your frustration.
    With many of the older shower handles valves, they regulated both the temperature and the amount of water coming out, both with a progressive gradual pushing and turning. Now, most kinds that are sold can regulate only the temperature. They are referred to as the new "water saving" style. I personally preferred, and thought the former style were more versatile. I had difficulty finding a compatible value, and due to a time crunch, I just went with all new.

    Have you tried to contact Moen directly?

    • Rebecca Boney Huss Rebecca Boney Huss on Oct 18, 2017
      I ended up calling them yesterday afternoon, but they made me schedule a call back (for two days later). I think I found something compatible. It's made by Pfister and it's a universal kit. Says it's for "standard" and "posi-temp". I'm going to order it today, or maybe do some research into universal kits and see if there are others with better handle styles. I really didn't LOVE the handle in the universal kit.

  • Susan Allen Susan Allen on Oct 17, 2017
    If your faucet is covered, you can take it to the store and get the replacement and DYI. You will need a faucet wrench. Very easy to install, especially with common sense!

  • Flipturn Flipturn on Oct 18, 2017
    'Sounds like to have a reasonable plan, and are taking it step by step. Pfister is a well knowen brand. Hopefully it will do the job for you.

  • Susan Allen Susan Allen on Oct 18, 2017
    Me thinks all of us have "done that"!

  • Rebecca Boney Huss Rebecca Boney Huss on Oct 19, 2017
    We finally found what I think is our true solution. The universal kit says it's only for "lever" handles, and my husband looked at all the pieces and says it most likely won't work. 10 minutes on Amazon, and of course, he figured it out. Found the escutcheon plate, the handle, screws, and tube. Ordered for 1/3 of the cost of the universal kit. I guess I'll be returning the universal kit.