Asked on Feb 23, 2018

How do you fix a shower for that is too tall without getting it cut do

by Lynn
The corners are exposed is there any filler trucks I can do
  9 answers
  • Roxy blue Roxy blue on Feb 23, 2018

    I saw a pinterest where they put a cornice on top to cover all of that. It was truly beautiful. I will tell you not to use caulking or silicone, that space is too bid. I would use a cover up, that was just an install that didn't go as well as it should.

    • Lynn Lynn on Feb 23, 2018

      Do you have a picture or something I can search for in Pinterest?

      I tried several words to search but nothing comes up that will work

  • Kitty Leftwich Kitty Leftwich on Feb 24, 2018

    I'd just get a tension rod and a short valance to stretch across the area.

    • Barb Barb on Feb 24, 2018

      I’ve done this also. I used a shower curtain cut to size on the tension rod

  • Mark Mark on Feb 24, 2018

    Buy PVC molding/trim from Home Depot/Lowe's and place a facia around it. The PVC is paintable.

  • Charlene Charlene on Feb 25, 2018

    Shouldn't that top rail slide down over side rails ?

  • William William on Feb 25, 2018

    Charlene is correct! That top rail should slide down over the side rails. Then it would be flush with the top edge of the surround.

    • Lynn Lynn on Feb 26, 2018

      There is a track that the doors slide on inside that top.

      It won't go down any further

      Thanks anyway

      I just won't let my husband do anymore diy fixes

  • William William on Feb 26, 2018

    So the shower door frame is actually taller than the surround. I would measure the width of the rail. Go to the homecenter and see if I find a channel that can be cut to fit and slipped over the existing rail. Can be metal or plastic. Check different departments. Hardware, drapery, flooring, HVAC, etc. There has got to be something that can be fabricated so as mot to look fabricated or off.

  • Roxy blue Roxy blue on Feb 26, 2018

    Sorry, sorry, sorry. It was a hometalk. They used coreboard and covered it with fabric.

  • Roxy blue Roxy blue on Feb 26, 2018

    i tried to find the post but wasn't successful. But all they did was take some core board and staple fabric to it. The only thing is they were doing it to sell so the core board was fine. but if you want something more permanent then i would suggest using 1/4 ply or mdf board. It would work the same but be a little heavier and much more inclined to last. Just measure from the ceiling to where you want to cover and then the entire width of the bathtub and that is the size you would cut your plywood. Then cover with quilt batting and fabric. staple in place and you are good. Sorry this is such a quick description.

  • Lynn Lynn on Feb 26, 2018

    Thank you very much I will try this fix