How to fix a drabby window shade?

This is the shade that is in need of some color. What can we do to make it look livelier?
q how to fix a drabby window shade
q how to fix a drabby window shade
  7 answers
  • GoddessOdd GoddessOdd on Mar 04, 2018
    How about a stencil? I don't know if it would work unless you can flatten a section of the shade at a time to apply the stencil, but if you can, the sky's the limit. The only other idea I can come up with is colored tape either around the edges or over the stitching.

    • Josieburns7 Josieburns7 on Mar 05, 2018
      I think a stencil would be difficult, since it is a honeycomb shade.
      Thanks for the ideas.

  • Sandy Mills McDowell Sandy Mills McDowell on Mar 04, 2018
    I personally don't know how, but I did see a post on here and on YouTube to fix this problem...

  • Laura Cooper Laura Cooper on Mar 04, 2018
    Blinds like this can be very inexpensive to replace. If you get the plastic louvered ones at a big box store and watch for a sale you may be able to just replace it for around $20.

    • See 2 previous
    • Laura Cooper Laura Cooper on Mar 06, 2018
      How funny! Tell her hello from CO. You still may be able to replace rather than repair. I see your other comments that it is a cellular shade. We watched for clearance and bought our cellular shades for 75 percent off at the local home improvement store. The color appears to be a standard "mushroom" or similar color.

  • Gail Gail on Mar 04, 2018
    Is it a roller shade or a blind with slats?

  • Imjhale Imjhale on Mar 04, 2018
    If roller shade, remove carefully and, if needed, wipe down with vinegar solution. Then spray paint, use stencils, washi tape. Or uses acrylic paint and thin with water to do a wash, even water color effect.

  • Sharon Sharon on Mar 05, 2018
    I have cleaned those at client's houses by putting in bleach, water and dish soap in the bath tub, fold the shade up, and put in the tub for an hour or two, then open it up to see if clean, if not I usually put it back in the tub folded up for a longer period.

  • Imjhale Imjhale on Mar 06, 2018
    Sorry, I wasn't able to see the picture on the device I was using. You might still try some stencils, scattered rather than a distinct pattern, or possibly an abstract spray paint. However, I think your best bet is to replace it. They are usually pretty inexpensive at the dollar or big box stores. If you're renting, you might consider a very inexpensive tension rod, again at the dollar store and topic with a single panel curtain or sheer from thrift store, Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity, etc . You can also use a twinsheet - either leave it long and pull together in center with ribbon/rope etc or swag to one side. You can also either double it over the rod or thread the bottom hem over the rod (cut tiny hole near each end if needed) and flip the bottom under then over the top and the decorative top/wide border becomes a balance. Fluff to get desired effect.