How would I cheaply cover stairs once I remove the carpet?

+4

Looking for an inexpensive way to nicely cover our stairs once we remove the carpet. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

• Deb K Deb K on Feb 03, 2019

You could buy vinyl peel and stick tiles, or you can reface them with a nice painted or finished wood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XFx5hcBOSc

• Deb K Deb K on Feb 04, 2019

• PeggySue2u PeggySue2u on Feb 04, 2019

Probably the cheapest would be to adhere some long cheap rubber door mats they just started carrying at the Dollar Tree. The cost would be $1 per step and ... don't quote me on it; but I would be willing to say that construction adhesive would hold them well but I would consult a pro on that one. Coordinate a lighter color matching paint to the riser panels or use a mirrored paint.

Another idea would be to use actual tread on the treads and Home Depot can easily explain how to use the cheap rubber tread cut from the rolls at the back of the store.

If the wood is in good condition, sanding and painting would be the fastest and easiest solution but I would use textured rubberized low VOC paint applied with a coarse nap roller.

If the bare frame is not in good condition and if you are a handy person, try re-purposing some pallet wood. Secure the new treads like piano keys (bevel or sand outside edges) and the risers in the opposite direction for additional stability (or reverse the design), starting from the bottom and working to the top.

Cork could be a cheap alternative with an epoxy like finish however, because it can break off, nosing would be required for safety. Cheap linoleum tiles would also require nosing but may not be very appealing and would need a high quality adhesive to stop breakage or slippage from position.

I come from a family of makers, builders and handy people so, once I have made my choice, I always refer any of my projects to a Home Depot person because they know their products and can ensure that I don't suffer a huge mistake. Good luck and I can't wait to see what you do.

• Alison Alison on Feb 04, 2019

Thank you for your thoughts. I like the cork idea, as well as the tread. Lots to think about.