What can I put on last step of stairway as same color as floor ?

+3
My stairs is same color as floor & this is 2nd time I have fell & I need an idea so I can see step as I rent as there isn't any hand rail the last 6 steps or top 3 steps. Landlord won't do anything.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 23, 2017
    Painters tape would be a suggestion, The color is bright, it can be taken up and replaced easily without damaging the paint and making the landlord mad. There should be railing for all the steps. If the landlord won't put in more railing for your safety, call the city or county to find out what the codes are for stairway railing and why you are calling ( the number of stairs with no railing and the fact you have fallen because of this and the stairs and floors being the same color), and that the landlord will not fix the problem for your safety. They may also be able to tell you if you have any recourse with the landlord, or they could come and inspect and if it is in violation, the landlord will be required to resolve the issue before they come to inspect to make sure the problem is fixed. Perhaps the landlord would let you put some treads on the stairs or do something to make them more visible.

• See 1 previous
      Gorilla tape may be too sticky to get up if you move. If your landlord won't fix things, he/she may change you to take it up. I lived in a place for 14 years and they never painted the old place once, or did any improvements unless the city said he had too. When we finally moved, they charged us to paint, replace carpet and kitchen linoleum, even the roll linoleum in the bathrooms that was there when we moved in and they wouldn't change for us even though it was in bad shape at that time. The hardwood floors were in bad shape and wouldn't redo them. After 10 years they were told they had to do something about them, so they slapped a thick coat of paint on them and didn't even seal them. Every time I cleaned the floors a little paint would come off and I told them that and they said don't worry about it. It was down four years and they charged me to repaint all the floors.

• Dfm Dfm on Dec 23, 2017
    you need to put a colored tape on the edge of the last stair.

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 23, 2017
    They make reflective tape and if there is a plug nearby put in a nightlight.
    You could also buy a carpet square that comes with adhesive strips, trim it to the size of the bottom stair and stick it down on the last stair so you can see and feel the difference.
    For my disabled neighbor I used carpet, and then added a simple metal handle on the wall at the last step. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-5-3-4-in-Black-Door-Pull-15449/202033978 I just used long screws 3" into stud.
    If you can afford it, install a handrail, I just replaced mine outside with this... https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stair-Parts-6042-1-ft-Unfinished-Red-Oak-Wall-Hand-Rail-6042R-ESR-HD16L/202088441 used the brackets showing below into studs, and finished with teak oil. You can just remove the rail, brackets and screws when you move, spackle and paint the wall before you move.

• 62q10370829 62q10370829 on Dec 23, 2017
    That is what I was thanking, white gorlia tape. Thank you .