How do I get or make curtain treatments for sloping windows?

by Patricia

The upstairs of our home has windows that slope downwards. I would like to have a window treatment that would provide minimal privacy - sheers are my preference - and not block the sunlight. Windows are on both side of the open entryway. Also the sheetrock above the windows is only 3" from ceiling to top of window. Any ideas?

This picture is looking straight in at the windows from the top of the stairway

  8 answers
  • Gk Gk on Nov 20, 2018

    You can run a curtain rod from the lowest point--across horizonally to the other side. You will have privacy with the curtains but sunlight can still come through in the part of the windows that aren't covered. You could also use some privacy film to cover each window. There are many decorative patterns and you will still have light coming in.

  • Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Nov 20, 2018

    You can place your "rod pocket" sheers on fancy rods since you do not intend to slide them back and forth, but even at that they will slide if necessary. .

    • Patricia Patricia on Nov 20, 2018

      I like the angled bathroom curtain that is hung from the ceiling with hooks. That's a really nice, elegant look.

  • Amanda Amanda on Nov 20, 2018

    Hi Patricia. You can use a tension rod.

  • Patricia Patricia on Nov 20, 2018

    These are some great ideas. Does anyone know if angled curtains can be purchased? I would want the length to be even across the bottom. I am using tension rods on the lower windows with sheers but those windows are not angled.

  • Oliva Oliva on Nov 21, 2018


    You're most likely looking at custom hemming, which will be quite expensive, given the angles. Better to do the hemming yourself, which will take some time and patience to insure correct angles.

    • See 1 previous
    • Oliva Oliva on Nov 21, 2018

      Hi, Patricia,

      Believe me when I tell you I'm the same way! Unfortunately, most drapery companies no longer have the standards they once did, unless you want to check out Calico Corners, or similar.

  • MomofivejsOR MomofivejsOR on Nov 21, 2018

    I would just hang a straight rod with sheers and leave the upper angle open for light, it would look like a transom. You also could use a frosted peel and stick window covering. I would keep it simple.

    • Patricia Patricia on Nov 21, 2018

      Thanks. I'll test how this would look. I can't envision it without seeing it up. Thanks for the suggestion.

  • Kelly-n-Tony Kelly-n-Tony on Nov 22, 2018

    I had an odd shaped window in a previous home and used the privacy window clings in a stained glass design.