Replace a light over sink with plug I cannot reach

The only plug in my bathroom is in the light fixture over the sink and I cannot reach it. What can I do for a replacement?
  9 answers
  • Z Z on Nov 05, 2015
    I'm guessing your home was built in the middle of the last century or before to have such a light and no other outlet. The only thing you can safely do, is to have an electrician install a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt) outlet in a better location or keep a step stool in your bathroom. I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but that's the best, and safest, solution.
  • If you have a handy person around it isn't that hard to move the electric down! Just make sure they encase any wires they made to lengthen, it's so common for people to tape them together without putting in a junction box! Safety!
  • Mark Mark on Nov 06, 2015
    Add electrical outlet in a lower location. Use a GFI circuit breaker - and a standard outlet. GFI outlets are not for damp areas. You may find another location to install the GFI and daisy chain it. Good luck!
  • Hazel Walker Broughton Hazel Walker Broughton on Nov 06, 2015
    In out old house we took a surge protector and plugged it in the high outlet, then hung the protector lower, now I can do
  • Linda Milligan Linda Milligan on Nov 06, 2015
    I was going to suggest the same as Hazel Walker Broughton. I have done this. To keep the cord from swinging in the way, I use small cup hooks to hold it.
  • Nancy Nancy on Nov 11, 2015
    May not be pretty, but what about a surge protected power strip with 4 or 5 outlets mounted vertically beside the mirror? They have switches at the bottom end. Then you can plug in a light, hair dryer, etc. and turn them all off with one click.
  • Kincaid99 Kincaid99 on Nov 13, 2015
    If your medicine cabinet is wood, attach the surge protector to the left side so you can reach it safely, it can be put up with screws. If your cabinet is metal attach some magnets to the surge protector and put on side of cabinet.
  • Kate Kate on Nov 13, 2015
    Mizzzmillie--I believe electrical code requires an outlet separate from lighting in the bathroom--although I don't know if older homes are exempted til remodel. Might want to do a little research on that. There are national codes, and local, which vary and may be more stringent in your state. If you rent, your landlord will want to know, so he can stay in compliance. ;-) If you own, you'll definitely want to get this upgraded, both for function and safety.
    • Nancy Nancy on Nov 21, 2015
      @Kate Depends on area, but my folks had a house built in 1970 in Washington state and that house never had GFI's and did not have to when it was sold. But they are easy to add.
  • Mark Mark on Nov 20, 2015
    Code matters on remodels - add the outlet.
    • Nancy Nancy on Nov 21, 2015
      @Mark Remodel vs revamp/redecorating. If you are not moving walls or appliance or electrical outlets and doing small things that do not require a permit you are not remodeling. Changing the original structure needs permits etc, because of safety regs. You can add GFI's and should on older homes, I actually put them on every outlet in my garage build, the inspector laughed but agreed that more is better.