Asked on Nov 11, 2015

How Would You Make This Wreath? Please Help Awesome Creative Ladies :)

SassieTmitch5006Mirrigan Dennis
+6

Hello Ladies~ I have a friend that would like one on these made for her Son's grave. I was wondering if I could have some insight of what to do. I would like to create this and light up her day! Any info would help. I do not bend wire very well...but sure can try!!! Thank You in advance!
wire? Cardboard? Glue? ...........(easiest and cheapest would be nice)
  • Hannah V
    Hannah V

Hey there! Here are a couple posts with good tutorials on making one of these! https://www.hometalk.com/9979346/horse-head-christmas-wreath and https://www.hometalk.com/6094997/horse-head-wreath-for-christmas -happy crafting! Please post how you make yours when you're done! :)

• Debra Campbell
    Debra Campbell

There is a web site called Trendytree.com and they have all the materials needed to make this. they also have a video to show how it's done. I'm making one for my sister for Christmas. check out Trendytree.com. i have bought from their web site and they are quick with sending the orders. hope this helps.

• Jeanette S
    Jeanette S

Here are my instructions and photo of my wreath: MAKING OUTLINE 1. Copy photograph and save.2. Enlarge to fit page and print.3. Cut out image.4. Lay on sheet of newspaper and draw 1-1/2 inch around image to make rough outline (tweaking as you go)5. I used a coat hanger and bent it to shape. 6. Closed ends with pliers. 7. Shaped and attached ear.8. Added more flexible wire across body of image and one running vertical.9. Attached Ear.10. Wrapped all joints with masking tape to avoid rough areas that cut and scratch door.WRAPPING FORM 1. Using a garland type green material, I wrapped all the wire so it would not show through.2. The only thing I did for the ear was wrap it with a small garland I had. 3. I tilted my head to give that “Stallion Running in the Wind” look MAKING THE HEAD 1. The ear was finished.2. I had a small 10”Christmas tree which I cut off all the limbs on one side.3. I used the other side, pushing the branches flat. 4. I attached this to the top of the form, the widest part being just even with the ear.5. I then took a pair of wire clippers and shaped the head. (I put more of a horse look to mine…note shape of jaw). Where I had gaps, I filled in with the cutoff branches and glued them on with hot glue.FILLING IN BODY 1. I had an old wreath that had stiff wire with short pieces of branches on it. I cut the first on the length longer than the rest…then attached it top, left side, center and bottom of form (leaving it a little longer than form).2. Then I cut the 2nd one a bit shorter and the 3rd one even shorter and attached them the same way as the first one.3. Then I added pine needle looking pieces I cut from old wreaths to make the mane…laid them out and hot glued them on. 4. Any gaps were filled in with hot glue. FINISHES 1. I hot glued on the flower. I had red velvet ribbon with gold down each side. I cut about ¼” wide & hot glued to make halter and reigns. I did not add eye and nose and it distracted from my horse. Hang with a ribbon attached to top.

, Mine is a little more wild looking, This is the left over side of the tree the side I used was thicker These limbs cut off can be used to wrap frame when you start making it
  • Veralucia Santos
    Veralucia Santos

Legal!

• Ann Marie
    Ann Marie

Wow ! As a lifelong horse lover, this is right up my alley ! I've never seen anything like this ! It's gorgeous and I'm definitely going to try it !
  • Suellen Hintz
    Suellen Hintz

I'm sorry for your friend's loss. You are so good to help her make this lovely horse wreath into a memoria.
  • Mirrigan Dennis
    Mirrigan Dennis

I would suggest using chicken wire for the outline shape and fill it in with artificial tree fronds or even artificial ivy The halter you can make with ribbon or aritificial leather
  • Tmitch5006
    Tmitch5006

I made my sons girlfriend one several years ago out of a wire clothes hanger and wrapped a long green garland around the wire after shaping the head the garland was a really thick nice one and the wires were perfect to bend to connect to the hanger , a red ribbon around his neck and real pine limbs for his mane he was a beaut! Easy and cheap!

• Sassie
    Sassie
    Just now

That’s cute but you might think about putting done reins around his neck and let the ends run through his mane just a thought