Linda B
Linda B
  • Trumbull, CT
Asked on Apr 20, 2013

Does anyone know where to buy dandelion flowers?

Tammy M MartinSusan behr lewisSherylbluebell
+13

I'd like to try my hand at making dandelion wine and need (obviously) dandelion flowers - an entire GALLON of them! That's what the recipe calls for. That's a lot of traveling around and finding dandelions and hoping they haven't been sprayed with poison! Anyone?
Have a great weekend, Linda
I found one! Now I just need about 100 more... ;)
  • What people do around us is simply knock on doors and ask the owners if they can pluck the flowers on their lawns. If there are chemicals on the lawns most likely you will know based upon how many flowers the lawn has. Those that are covered with them tend not to have anything placed on the lawns. Those yards that look nice with only a few are the ones you want to stay away from. I would check out local farms that have animals. Lots of fields have these weeds and normally are not treated with anything that would hurt the animals. Most township parks are the same. They cannot spread any chemicals that kids could be harmed from and with current budgets in most towns they cannot afford to do it anyway.

• Linda B

okay, I'm off to find dandelions....

• Patricia W

Open fields where there have been no chemicals. Or at specialty stores like organic produce stores, around organic produce farms. My yard! hahaha! Sounds yummy, please let us know how your wine turns out!

• Kayren Johnson

Bunch of chemical free ones in my yard, u pick em! lol

• Kelly S

Any luck with your wine?

• Julie Sims

My neighbors yard is full of them!

• Lynn Zawojski

Hi, being from CT, you must realize no one sells dandelion seeds as we spend thousands trying to get rid of them, in our lawns. Go to a field and just pick till you drop. You'll have great wine and can think about the 60's...:) Lynn

• Julie Sims

@Lynn Zawojski hahahaha...the 60s weren't so bad, we had a neighbor who spelled IT'S SPRING out in dandelions every spring!

• Sarah Dennis

Could you put an ad on Craigslist? If I saw such an ad on Gumtree (UK version of Craigslist) I'd invite you to come pick til you drop. Or for a small fee, I'd do it too/for you!

• Wanda sinnema

oh heavens,,,, my dad made that when I was little,,and no one used pesticides like today.. I'd check with organic farms in the area....call and ask if they have any they would love you to pick..... I remember helping pick them with my little bucket..... until ababy snake ran in front of me. That ended my picking!

• Scott

Wait till spring and you can have all the dandelion heads you want for any amount of wine possible that you want to obtain for the future you are wasting your money by buying dandelion flowers on the Internet if you are looking for a recipe for dental in one try and find Amish people and they will give you a wonderful recipe

• Scott

This person must live in thr"Big City" or a deserted island?

• Angie

I haven't had any luck finding whole dandelions yet (I'm in Houston) I did find greens at Whole Food, but I ended up purchasing seeds on EBay and driving my neighbors insane with my "lawn garden". I got 400 organic seeds for .99. And they grow like weeds, hehe. Sorry. I had to! :)

• Sherylbluebell

If u r still looking for this coming sping - gilbertiess herb gardens in westport - Sale grows em in Easton at his farm for us. U would be buying them as 6-packs to be planted.

• Susan behr lewis

My grandmother used to take my sister and me to a large state park near our house. We would pick dandelions for hours. Tired and tanned, we set out for home where my grandmother and parents would make a weekend of putting the dandelions and other ingredients together to make wine. I never did see the final result, but I am sure it was enjoyed by all.

• Tammy M Martin

You live in Connecticut is there should be fields in Your area that you can go pick dandelion flowers. I did the mistake of letting my pet pigs eat all the dandy line flowers I can't wait for Spring because I will try my hand on dandelion flower wine. Meanwhile I making Wild Apple wine.