Asked on Feb 1, 2012

how do you soften baking soda which has hardened

ANGELA SCOTTMarieWilliam
+9

I purchased a huge bag of baking soda for cleaning. It has become a rock. How do I soften it so I can use up the bag?
  • Hmm, I've never run into this myself, but it comes to mind that smacking it a bunch with a hammer might work. If that doesn't, I'd just go and get more (perhaps in a smaller quantity).

• 3po3

If you are using it for cleaning, you generally will make it into a paste, so it doesn't really have to be a powder again. I would try to chip away at your baking soda rock. In the future, avoid getting any moisture into your baking soda. That is probably what caused your problem.

• Sharon G

I want to use it with vinegar to clean the drains and a paste isn't possible. Think I will just throw it out and get a smaller bag. Thanks

• Marilynn Gillespie

Hammer

• PainterNoni

I had the same problem...I need it for my goats, for cleaning, etc. It got hard as a rock even before I opened it. I just tried this, and it works. Take a pastry blender...the kind with a handle and metal splines....just scrap the top of the "rock", and it turns into powder again.

• Barbara

Put a quarter of an apple inside the box and let it sit there for a day or two, the moisture from the apple should help it soften up a little bit, much like brown sugar.

Still good. Use a hammer.
  • Marie

Hardened Baking Soda can be turned back into a powder by:

1. Place the hardened baking soda into a larger plastic container.
    2. Cover the soda bag with a dish towel.
    3. Use a hammer and break into chunks.
    4. Pour the chunky baking soda into the plastic container (throw away the beat up bag).
    5. Place soda chunks into a blender - blend until powdered (wait a minute until the powder has settled).
    6. Place a large strainer over a large bowl and slowly pour the powdered baking soda into the strainer - Strain (put the small chunks back with the larger chunks - for the next round. Continue blending the rest of the chunky baking soda.
    7. Spoon the strained powdered baking soda into clean "dry" containers. Store...

• ANGELA SCOTT

(1) Remove the baking soda from the box. (2) Place the baking soda in a microwavable bowl. (3) Cover it with a napkin or paper towel. (4) Microwave for 1 minute. You should be able to scrape it with a spoon by now. (5) Microwave again for 1 more minutes. (6) Put the baking soda in a Ziploc bag, and gently squeeze the bag. The baking soda should return to its normal form.