Sarah W
Sarah W
  • Snellville, GA
Asked on Mar 14, 2012

Animal accidents on wood flooring....

Alanna IrelandLig5237167Ophelia laurel
+7

I believe that my old dog had a few accidents on my wood flooring in the hallway, and every now and then I think I might smell a trace of urine. It has been cleaned many times, there are no apparent stains, but on a humid day there is just this slight smell.... Is there any solution that will not remove the finish on the floor, or am I going to just have to replace it?
  • 3po3

Have you tried Nature's Miracle Urine Destroyer? I don't have any pets, but I have friends who swear by it: http://www.wag.com/dog/p/natures-miracle-urine-destroyer-115559

• KMS Woodworks

Sarah...we have an older wiener dog who has had a number of accidents on on hardwoods...we use this product http://www.amazon.com/Unique-Odor-Stain-Eliminator-Quart/dp/B000CSBXM4 we get it from our local pet supplies shops

• Sherrie S

Sarah, I recently tried a product called ODOban. I have one 89lb & one 103 lb dog that have their own door to the outside where they can do what they want to to do anytime. It is a fake grass area with underlying stones. It is the best product I ever used. I am very careful what I use around my best friends. I think I purchased it on Amazon.

• Sarah W

Thank you for the ideas! I have not had much luck with Nature's Miracle but they do have a product for wood flooring now, so I will give it another try-- then probably move on to these other suggestions. Thanks so much!

• Michelle I

on the humid days try baking soda

• Ophelia laurel

baking soda does work, it will obsorb the scent I usually leave it on my hardwood floor overnight then vacuum it up in the morning. It helps for the odor.

• Lig5237167

same problem (dont know if cats or dog from previous owner) - I have a nose like a bloodhound - so I smell same - but CANT FIND where its coming from!!! any ideas there? house is up for sale, and scared someone else will be able to smell (people I trust tell me they cant smell it); thanks for ideas!

• Alanna Ireland

Order a UV light. They're not expensive at all. Be prepared for some shock if you shine it on your mattress. (It illuminates most bodily fluids)!