Marvin R
Marvin R
  • Sanford, NC
Asked on Mar 29, 2012

Shrub/Tree Id?

DeltamomMargie CookJeanealchick
+40

Me and my wife have had this growing in a pot for 6 or 7 years it dies back in winter and we always think its dead.It comes back year after year though and gets berries on it once in a while.Any ideas?
shrub tree id, gardening
  • Walter Reeves

can you get us a closer pic of the leaves?

• Marvin R

Sure

• Marvin R

closer

• Marvin R

Leaves

• Marvin R

Its prickly to

• Patricia D

Hawthorn?

• Celeste K

does it flower?

• Terri S

Bayberry?

• Marcia N

Looks kind of like our Key Lime tree.

• Valerie M

possibly a barberry bush

• Sharon A

Flowering Quince?...does it have small thorns and orangy-red flowers?

• Stacey Lee

It sorta looks like a crepe myrtle but I don't think they are prickly.

• Rosemary S

exactly what I thought! fruits after flowers, reddish/brown?

• Marvin R

I think it does have white flowers if i remember right not 100% sure though i do know it has berries and is prickly lol

I'm betting on flowering quince.

• Laura M

this looks like maybe a dwarf huckleberry bush. at first the leaves reminded me of a gardenia leaf, but I just started looking at small bushes that berry once in awhile, and run across certain leaf patterns and compaired a few. this is what I came up with. I hope it helps.

• Judy W

Maybe a pyracantha?

• Lori B

Looks like cotoneaster to me.

• Shirley J

I think pyracantha, too.

• Judy W

If it's a pyracantha, be glad you have it in a pot. I planted one in my yard but it went crazy. I eventually got rid of it. The berries were pretty though!

• Rebecca W

Looks like a bush, not a tree. I think if you want it to get bigger you need to get it out of that pot. Its either a bayberry or pyracantha.

• D. G

I believe it is in the citrus family. All citrus have thorns maybe lemon or orange tree.

• Sharon S

looks a lot like a quince but I've never seen a white one.

• Evelyn R

I vote for pyracantha, too. I don't think quince has berries, at least, mine doesn't.

• Candy J

The leaves are too big for it to be a bayberry.

• Carolyn S

We call that wild olive. It has tiny white blooms and then small berries. It can be invasive. Leave it in the pot!

• Sherrie S

Marvin, I try to keep all of my plants. When one doesn't do as well as I thought I put it in the "graveyard" Put your plant there & see what it wants to be. Many of mine have turned out really nice.

• Marcia M

How about a Wigelia bush

• Kara K

Are the leaves fuzzy grey on the back? Where are you?

• Evelyn R

the leaves really look like these

, Pyracantha picture
  • Anne B

Oh I didn't read the berry part before, trying to think of shrubs I know it looks so familiar.

• Diane B

Might be a bougainvillaea, looks just like one in my green house in fact!

• Diane B

Nope not a bougainvillaea, no berries. Sorry. Pyrcantha variety.

• Ann D

azalea?

• Marvin R

Wow the mystery continues maybe when it flowers i can take another pic.I think im gonna leave it in the pot its kinda hard to work with due to the thorns.You guys are the best though ive been looking up all yalls post on google.lol

• Deborah C

Pyracantha coccinea are evergreen,and do not die back in the winter. However P. koidzumii are evergreen to semi-evergreen, they are not as hardy, zone 8-10. Birds enjoy the berries during the fall and winter. Weigela does not produce berries. Flowering Quince produces small apple like fruit, has thorns and some cultivars have white blooms. They are deciduous woody plants. How big is the container and has the plant been in the same one all this time? My old eyes can not see the foliage good enough to make a proper guess as to the ID of this plant.

• Susan S

The first thing that came to mind when I saw your picture was "Crown of Thorns" aka Pyracantha!! I'm in agreement w/Judy W. Shirley J. &Diane B. on that. The berries that Evelyn R. shows look like Pyracantha - kind of a bright orangish-red. My Mom & Dad had one planted beside the chimney and it was HUmongous so I'd either repot it and give it a little more room or put it outside where it'll have lots of room but not close to your house or any other trees or shrubs. Keep it pruned or it will take over.

• Barbara L

I have to agree, Pyracantha ,I have one and it grows fast [down south].

• Rosemary S

If Pyracantha the white flowers should have turned into bright reddish-orange very showy berries on a long clustered branch. I used in my fall floral arrangement-magnificant, and my Bassett hound ate them as they dropped of bush-non-toxic as far as I know. Here in our area,Northern calif, been berries since Nov-very showy against fence/snow etc. Horrible to prune, they do grow kind of wild and spreading if in ground.

• Evelyn R

Oh yes Marvin, you're going to have to wait for the berries! Don't forget to post it then. :)

• Jeanealchick

Golden Barberry. A possibility if it has thrones on old growth.

• Margie Cook

Pyracantha has thorns. It is evergreen. Great for Espalier pruning. You would know if that was the plant. Can't imagine why it was in a pot for so long. So doubt it is that.Many from Ilex family are diciduous and have berries.

• Deltamom

if berries are blue, it could be a blueberry bush. if red, it could be a holly. some hollies are evergreen and some lose their leaves. also, it could be a pyracantha from the branch structure of the limbs.