Southern Trillium LLC
Southern Trillium LLC
  • Stone Mountain, GA
Asked on Apr 4, 2012

Saw this today in a wooded area at a client's house. Anyone recognize it? I had to look it up to verify it.

DORLISJoannLaura Blalock
+18

We saw this today in a wooded area while doing some plantings. The leaves are shaped very much like an oak leaf, but it is a vine. Any guesses?
Any guesses on this vine?  The leaves look like those on an oak.
Any guesses on this vine? The leaves look like those on an oak.

It looks like why you shouldn't plant invasive forms of honeysuckle.

• Southern Trillium LLC

That is it Douglas. It is a honeysuckle, Lonica japonica, I could not remember ever seeing one where the leaves were so heavily lobed, but I checked some reference materials and it is common on a fast growing vine.

• Atheena S

My neighbor had one, yes definitely invasive. As it grew up all over in our yard, however it did draw Hummingbirds :)

• Patricia N

can u get them at the nursery?

• Patricia N

or r they wild

• Ann S

looks like poison oak to me

• Southern Trillium LLC

Check out this Duke website, and the bottom photo shows leaves almost exactly like my photo. Poison oak also grows with leaves in triplet form, similar to poison ivy. The leaves seen in my photo are opposite each other on a vine.

• Sharon A

Sorry...just the thought of Poison Oak gives me the shivers...had it once about 25 years ago from head to toe (pulling it out of an old garage, not knowing what it was) and am now recovering (my 3rd week) of it because some idiots took wood clearings from our walk path and left them on the path, which I cleared off and continued my walk...little did I know what they'd been in...am wondering what the culprits ended up looking like...sweet revenge!

• Kelly S

I think Ann and SheilaG are right. Don't burn anything that may have it growing on it because the oils will get released in the air and can get in your lungs from breathing the smoke. Nasty stuff, jsut like poison ivy or poison summack.

• Rainy Odessy

i think it is poison oak

• Trish M

Looks Like Honeysuckle....Had It all Over Our Wooded Property...Very Nice...But EXTREMELY Invasive from What I Remember...If I'm Wrong...LOL... and It is Poison Oak...Wear Protective Clothing,Gloves and a Face Mask If You Have to Remove it...And What Ever You Do...DON'T BURN IT...I Would Toss Out anything That Comes in Contact with it...Nasty Stuff..

• Angela A

Poison oak

• Ann S

it is a bad weed it is poison oak do not touch

• Jeanette S

Anyting like poisin oak or ivy, I always put in a plastic bag and tie it up to make sure it DIES! I have never been allergic, but there is always that first time!

• Kim N

Poison oak.

The original poster ruled out poison oak because of the leaf arrangement. Trish is correct that this is a photo of a honeysuckle leaf.

• DORLIS

@Douglas Hunt Not honeysuckle, got that stuff all over Misouri, trying to take over my yard and house. Cut stems low to ground, use foam bruch to paint stumps with Tordon.

• DORLIS

looks like an oak seedling to me. Because I live in the woods, I am constantly pulling up acorns planted by squirrels

• Joann

Just looking at it makes me scratch...Poison Oak!

• DORLIS

Had poisen oak in California many years ago, rubbed my eyes and had to go to hospital to get my contacts out. Cpntact local conservation department.