Joy S
Joy S
  • Santa Ana, CA
Asked on Apr 12, 2012

Hiking one day in So CA~ Aliso Wood trails area and came across these thistle looking purple flower bushes (about 4-5')

Karen PetersADORLIS
+16

Anyone know what these are called??
q hiking one day in so ca aliso wood trails area and came across these thistle, flowers, gardening
  • Joy S

anyone know what these are called??

• Joan R

It could be A gastache, hyssop for common name

• Joan R

I left the A off. It's Agastache.

• Joy S

Look is close but it 's leaves are more "spike like" then the herbish hyssop and agastache and the whole bush is rather tall like 4-5'

• 3po3
  • Joy S

Thank you for the suggestions but this doesn't answer my question because this flower/bush is taller than gentian and the flower is a cluster as you can see from the photos....

• 3po3

Then I'm stumped.

• Joy S

Thanks Steve ...

It looks like a type of liatris to me.

• Fra42152

Looks like Liatris from the spicata family. Monarch Butterflies love them. after the flower dies there will be seeds that when resown will develop the bulb. I have these in my yard and in October the Monarchs are headed back to Mexico. They swarm these flowers. It's so beautiful.

• Kitty W

It does look like a Liatris variety. Absolutely gorgeous.

• Mimi Haywood

Liatris, used in Floral Shops as filler flowers.

• Lynda

Lyn UK looks like echium I have one taller and prickly stem

• DORLIS

Look like Liatris to me. They sue are beautiful

• Barbara S

Look up "Pride of Madeira."

• Heidy

Liatris, definitely. So pretty!

• DORLIS

JUST GOT AN AD ON EMAIL AND IT HAD A PICTURE OF PRIDE OF MADERA. FOR SURE THIS IS IT.

• A

It's pride of madeira very common in so cal. Liatris doesn't get nearly as big

• Karen Peters

Echium! I live in CA's SF Bay Area and they are almost 'native'. They seem to love the coastal climate of Ca. I planted along a long fence years ago and they are still there. They don't particularily do well after a hard frost--kind of turn into a gooey blob, but will usually will come back with some TLC. Very drought tolerant. Grows wild all along the coastal hills here.