Rose S
Rose S
  • Marietta, GA
Asked on Apr 16, 2012

What do I do with all of the wooden spools that thread used to come on. I'd hate to just throw them away. Any suggestion

Rose SFlipturnDianne cuddington
+19

• Rose S

Cool, thank you, but I have so many more spools that drawers that might need new pulls. Please help me out and keep thinking. :-)

• Rose S

I like it, I like it, please keep them coming since I have LOTS of wooden spools. :-)

• Shirley R

use them as candle holders!!

• Tina S

Do you have any friends that are wood carvers? They are great for that. Definitely don't throw them away, a use will come up.

• Shirley R

If you want to get rid of a few I would love to meet you some where and get them..Do you have alot of different sizes????I use to have some that I put candles in as candle holders but I don't know what happen to them..

• Rose S

Shirley, you never contacted me re the Hellebore seedlings. Send me a message and we can decide to meet and swap seedlings and spools.

• Audrey Montgomery

I've been contemplating making some sort of coat rack for my hallway, something for my grandkids to hang their coats and backpacks on. I was thinking maybe of using wooden spools, the bigger ones. Using screws longer than the heighth of the spool attaching them to a long board and then screw the board into the wall. Of course, it would have to be painted or decoupaged or something. Most wall coat racks have only 4 hooks and are around $20 for the cheaper ones. Money is an issue in this family.

• Barb Flynn

I have a friend that has a bookshelf and the shelves are separated by towers of wooden spools. It is a triangular, corner shelf.

• Ruth

I've seen them made into christmas wreaths and ornaments,

• Rose S

Thanks to all of you, so many great ideas, and so many many spools. I have been using the ideas, and am working on making a chess game with some of them. :-)

• Harriott Balmer

I have seen them with short pieces of ribbon and trims wrapped around them and put into a large glass jars ---- my plan for mine!

• CAB

Color/paint them and string them into a garland for your sewing area. Maybe put small colored bows or flowers between each spool.

• Melissa Sberna Taylor

I just saw an old stool with the legs made out of stacked, old wooden spools, very pretty!

• Sheryl Gilliland

I have used them for: hangers for everything from pot holders to hand towels and hats, toy truck wheels, planter legs (to add air under planter), mug racks, wind chimes no sound but pretty. But the best use I found was trivets!

• Rachel

how bout stringing them together to make for beads for babies.

• Pam Rice

I used mine for handles on my sewing table drawers.

• PennyB9

@Pam Rice I love that idea! If I had a swing table, I would so so that!

• Dianne cuddington

I was looking for those to do crafts with and gave up looking. No one has any here.

• Flipturn

Donate to any primary or elementary school, especially those located in less advantaged areas. They are great for kids to play with, to learn sorting, counting, etc., or for older kids to learn problem solving in building 3D science towers, etc.

More often than a person would think, schools just do not have a budget for these kids of hands on manipulative resources.
  • Rose S

Thanks to everyone. I have since made a chess set from some of them. It came out very well.