Colleen H
Colleen H
  • Manassas, VA

What to do with mirrored walls?

WahooJi.flooring2009Juana A
+9

Just bought a former model home built in the 90's. It has a ton of wallpaper and a mirrored bathroom wall and a gigantic framed out mirror on the 2 story foyer stairwell. Any thoughts for the mirrored walls? Hate them!
  • KMS Woodworks

I bet you got a deal on the house eh?....mirrored walls are pretty nasty IMHO as well. If it were me I'd rip out the mirrors and wall paper and go with drywall and tile. I like tile wainscot...

• Brenda B

take them off, paint pretty color.

• Miriam I

Can you post a picture, Colleen? I'm sure the creative people here will have some great ideas.

• Designs by BSB

remove them!

• Love to see a photo. It will be a lot of work or money to pay someone. We always did the work ourselves. Removal is the only answer since you hate it.

• I went into a clients home several years back to use the powder room. I pushed the door closed behind me and felt that I was in a maze at the shore. All the walls and ceiling was mirror. Including the door. Once done, it took me several seconds to figure out how to get out. The door did not have a handle, You had to push on the door like a cabinet and it then would release and open up. Take the mirrors out. They are fine in a small room on a closet door to make it feel larger, but in an already large area it becomes way to over powering. Besides, who wants to keep cleaning hand prints or doggie nose prints off of the walls?

• KMS Woodworks

what is even more dated than plain mirrors are those "mirror tiles" with graphics on them. I remember some of them from my childhood at some friends homes. I guess LSD usage was more common than I Imagined.

• Ji.flooring2009

light weight wall tiles can be fixed to the mirror using silicon. I recently installed a hammered glass type of tile 1 by 1 inch squares onto two 8' mirrors because the home owner said the mirrors were just too plain. Looks great!

q what to do with mirrored walls, bathroom ideas, home decor
  • Melissa G

I wonder if there is some kind of paint that would "frost" the mirrors, if you like the idea of that look.

• Juana A

Buy lattice and put over it in rooms, some places you could build a frrame over it. If you think about putting the lattice you can hang photo's, Art candle holders etc over it. Then the reflection of the mirror of making area's look larger won't be lost but won't be mirror overwhelming. I can see it in my mind and I love the look. Good luck.

• Ji.flooring2009

I did this to a clients closet mirrors. It's called crushed glass mosaic tile.

• Wahoo

We paid to have them safely removed.