Jim G
Jim G
  • Suffolk, VA

Flat Top Hydrangeas? tried looking up type type of Hydrangeas.. Big Leave Hydrangeas?

Bernie Ann LapkoMRS28087905Denise Tippett Naughtin
+42

Love the white in the leaves and the flowers
q flat top hydrangeas tried looking up type type of hydrangeas big leave, flowers, gardening, hydrangea
  • Beverly P

lace cap hydrangea I believe. Very pretty!

• Jim G

@ Beverly: Thank you. Do you deadhed these flowers when they start dying or will they only et one bloom for the season?

• Debra D

one bloom per season, here's a good site for trimming info http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/pruning.html

You have a variegated lacecap hydrangea, possibly "Mariesii." It sets its buds for the next season right after flowering, so be very cautious in pruning.

• What ever you are doing for this plant, keep doing it.

• Jim G

@ Garden - thank you. not sure, last year it seemed to have a disease and i pruned it way down. @ Doug: It almost seemed to be a cross breed where I can find pics of the lace cap (I guess aka "flat top flower" ??), yet the leaves in those pics don't seem to have the white trim around the edges. either way, I like them. SO, can I deadhead the flowers when they start dying? or just leave them? Are the buds for flowers for next season growing after the flowers from this season start dying off, or actually while flowers could still be on the plant now?

You can deadhead if they bother you. Or leave them for some winter interest and snip off just that part early next spring when it starts to leaf out.

• Jim G

Doug: ok, I'll leave them and early in the spring snip off only the dead part. Will have to set myself a reminder so I'm paying attention next spring! Thank you.

• Annie Doherty

Hi Jim you can use the flower heads that have dried by spraying them silver or white and using them at Christmas once they are totally dry, they look wonderful in displays. Just an idea to re-use?

• Jim G

so yeterday, I drive down 30 minutes to see my sister. The Hydrangeas I have come from here plants approx 4 years ago. Her Lace Cap hydrangeas have pink blooms, where ours are blue. I know its soil based, but kind of cool to see the difference!

• Irene

I had a young one several years ago. It was growing beautifuly. Then we had the house painted. I told the painter and showed him my hydrangea and I marked it. It was a few feet from the house and the painters still stepped on it and killed it. I think it is time for a new one.

• Jim G

@Irene Irene, Great news (should have responded a couple months back); The Hydrangeas all came back bigger and beautiful! I cut all the stems to the ground and they are full and bushier than they were last year. Only one set of flowers on one, though I didn't expect any being I cut them all down, but we should have flowers next spring.

• MaryAnn B

I have one like it. It is a variegated leaf lace cap hydrangea. Glad it came back.

• Jim G

@MaryAnn B me too! thank you. All Oleanders (15), 3 of 4 Jasmin and the Hydrangeas all coming back nicely!

• Wanda sinnema

Jim,, MOP HEADS are the old fashioned round ones.I love the foliage on yours...I put coffee grounds on mine and the color is BRIGHT BLUE.....lots of foot traffic on our street. everyone always comments on the color..

• Jim G

@Wanda sinnema :) Yup, All the leaves died off and I clearly can see the buds, so HOPEFULLY we don't get those crazy freezing nights that will kill the stems. I MAY wrap them in plastic if weather shows we are going to get freezing temps.

• Jo A

I have one of these. It blooms very pretty but hasn't grown much.

• Wanda sinnema

Jim, I forgot to also mention Many espresso shops bag and give away used coffee grounds... great for any acid loving plants(rody's, hydrangea, azalea etc) and great also for your compost..

• Patti @Hearth and Vine

Variegated lace cap hydrangea macrophylla

• Kathy Bitzan

I think that might be what he did, makes sense, Thank you I will keep my fingers crossed, I should go take a picture of it....

• Wanda sinnema

Jim,,That bush was more sentimental in the fact my late husband bought it for me, the first thing he bought me after moving to our then home.... it was $1.00 from a clearance table, after Easter, at a local grocery store. It had survived about 24 yrs, Still with me at my new smaller home he bought for me years ago that I have just moved into.. Can't wait until it blooms

• Annette

Lace cap is correct

• Elaine

Yes, that is called a "Lacecap Hydrangea". Beautiful! Before you cut it back, if you want it not so wide or tall, go on Google and research it first. The reason why is that some hydrangeas form the "next year's blooms" on the "old" (or current wood). So if you cut the shrub back, you MIGHT be removing the blooms for 2017! Some hydrangea are such that you can prune old or new "wood" and it won't matter at all but I can't remember what LaceCap's do. Just look it up so you aren't disappointed next Summer. You must have fairly acidic soil as hydrangeas bloom blue if grown in acidic soil. Unfortunately, I have alkaline soil so my hydrangeas are mostly pink.

• Elaine

Hi again, Jim. Yes, funnily enough, I grew some hydrangeas from tiny shoots I clipped from a shrub in northern Ontario, then once they were strong enough, were planted in my daughter's southern Ontario garden. She doesn't do a thing (no pruning or cutting back) and gets tons of blooms. I followed a gardening book and had no blooms. Murphy's Law, I guess. Just to clarify, her hydrangea were the Annabelle type - not Lacecaps. Good luck with your hydrangea. Sometimes, the less you fuss over a plant or shrub, the better the result!

• Kathie Gates-depan

Light o day hydrangea is the variety. I put in two this year.

• Denise Tippett Naughtin

I had a regular round head hydrangea, and I split it up, and 1 of my bushes blossomed like that, does anyone know why? It's beautiful, just would like to know why.
  • MRS28087905

THIS IS A LACE CAP VARIETY
  • Bernie Ann Lapko

Bought a pink 3 yrs ago.....has bloomed every year and this year finally grew taller ....fertilized with liquid container attached to garden hose and doing well. I did not dead head until the following Spring and also cut off the dead branches as they are easy to see and just break off at the base....very dry ......love it.....
  • Bernie Ann Lapko

This is my lacecap......got a lot more blooms this year.....it is gorgeous this yr and 3
    yrs old

, This is my lacecape it is pink but looks purple in photo hope you like it