Andrew S
Andrew S
  • Pleasanton, CA
Asked on Jun 16, 2012

Why is my water heater losing heat?

Andrew SAudrey Brow StaplefordJina
+5

Over the past year or two we sometimes have had no hot water in the morning, but the occurrences have been irregular. Over the past month, it has been constant, so I turned up the temperature on the water heater and now it's working fine.
I am guessing there is something wrong with the gas valve or thermostat or something. Expert opinions welcome.
  • KMS Woodworks

So this is a gas unit? My guess is in the mechanical thermostat...a spin up and then back down may due the trick sometime corrosion can affect the contacts...this "spin" clears things up.

• Sounds as though the thermostat on the gas valve is starting to go. How old is the heater? Perhaps its time to change it out. You can always change out the gas valve unit, but if the unit is fairly old, it simply is not worth it. Newer units are much more energy efficient.

• Andrew S

gas heater. more than 10 years old I am guessing

• You got your life out if it. Purchase a new one. Simply because of Murphy's law as soon as you replace the valve, its going to start leaking.

• Andrew S

thanks guys!

• Jina

Prob just needs a new thermostat.

• Audrey Brow Stapleford

We have an electric quick recovery hot water tank. We have a well and the water is very corrosive so the heating elements give out from time to time and need to be replaced. Nothing like taking a hot shower and it goes cold when your about to rinse your hair.

• Andrew S

Thanks Audrey. We replaced the water heater in 2013.