Redoing a bathroom ceiling

Kar12081023Connie Mautz-WheelerNancee
+16

Any good ideas on redoing a bathroom ceiling that had tiles on it that are now breaking and falling off?
Ceiling tiles falling out and metal strips showing. Trying to figure out how I can maybe leave the metal strips and put something really different up there.
  • Lori Verni-Fogarsi
    Lori Verni-Fogarsi

Sheets of bead board panels would be perfect! They're inexpensive, you could attach them easily to the existing mounting strips, and it would give a fresh, cottage look.

• Flip Remo
    Flip Remo

Determine the condition of the ceiling above the tiles, how much money you want to spend, how much time you have and how much mess you can put up with.....

• Kar12081023
    Kar12081023

Ich kann kein Englisch bitte was auf deutsch schreiben

• Kim Salmi
    Kim Salmi

Wish I could help but I'd get a pro to check to make sure there is no hidden damage behind those tiles ...it would be more expensive in the long run to find out you had a bigger problem .then see what they suggest as an option

• Tania Mullen
    Tania Mullen

If it is the fault of the tiles themselves that they are coming down & not the ceiling above it you can use beadboard. It is best to use waterproof (exterior) paint & primer on BOTH sides to prevent it from deteriorating. Like the tile both are some are made of a sawdust board.

• Jan Herman
    Jan Herman

You can replace those tiles, not hard to do.

• Eagle6380
      Eagle6380

Those tiles just haven't looked good since I bought this mobile home. I thought about that at first, but want to do something different and unique if possible before I trade this off for a modular home. Maybe I can get more for this that way.

• Melissa V
    Melissa V

Hey Eagle, I would definitely get a professional out to check out your ceiling and possibly your roof. Those metal mounting strips look rusted and the actual ceiling seems to have water damage and is bowing, and that doesn't come from interior moisture. Have it repaired then let us know how it looks!

• Jan Herman
    Jan Herman

I agree, if it was me, I would replace it with something more modern, like plank ceiling boards

• Pamela Robertson Pullmann
    Pamela Robertson Pullmann

Go online and google "ceiling tiles". There are tons of different styles and they're not terribly expensive. I would probably go with a styrofoam base product in the bathroom. If you don't want a white ceiling they can be painted. Good luck.

• Judy O'Brien
    Judy O'Brien

Try putting up laths in a herringbone pattern. They would be lightweight and easy to cut and fit into small spaces. Sand the lathes smooth and decorate with paint or wall paper.

• Touchedpainter
    Touchedpainter

I have a 30 yr. old Cap Cod style House. I despise white ceilings. I also am a 66 yr old female Comm. Paint/Surface Coating Contr. of 40+ years. I love wood ceilings. I went to the local big box hardware store & got “bead-board” (wainscoting) in slats not sheets. I worked totally by myself, but a home owner would want 2 people. I also used floor to ceiling paint-roller telescoping poles (& actually the 8' uncut bead-board slats) to hold the ceiling in place while the “contractor glue” dried, just overnight. I could only work a spared couple hours each day. This was a bathroom with recessed bath so I enclosed the tub area as well. Wood was left natural with just 1 coat of clear varnish/polyurethane. I trimmed the ceiling/inside-corners/outer-edges/tub with scotia molding (the fake trim looks & feels just like real). Now the ceiling & tub will never have to be painted again, just the small amount of remaining walls.

• Touchedpainter
    Touchedpainter

I am also going to install faux tin ceiling in the rest of the first floor. I like the lighter colored antiqued brushed metals, look.

• Cat8794645
    Cat8794645

Wet walling worked great for my bathroom ceiling

, We put wet walling on ceiling added led lights
  • Lesa
    Lesa

Bead board painted with a gloss OIL enamel paint

• Nancee
    Nancee

I was also going to suggest a tin ceiling. You might be able to figure how to attach to your metal strips. Ask for ideas when you buy them. They might be able to help you with that. Good luck!

• Connie Mautz-Wheeler
    Connie Mautz-Wheeler

Yep, depending on the style of your bathroom, those stick on tins are great. I even used them for a backsplash for my kitchen re-do.

• Kar12081023
    Kar12081023

Ich kann kein Englisch und vermute leider nur alles .habt ihr denn keinen der mir hilft aufs deutsche zu schreiben.karin