What color should I paint my exterior door?

+74
Our stucco is completed. It's a darker blue and a bright white trim, the shingles are a light grey. My style is a farmhouse glam! I still like my bling!
q exterior door color , doors
q exterior door color , doors
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 14, 2016
    Paint is so personal.There is a lot of white going on. Personally I would change the colors of the stairs first and then think about a door color.
  • Roberta Craft Roberta Craft on Dec 15, 2016
    professional decorators state the easiest porch update is to paint your door. Pick one of your favorite colors as you would enjoy it more, hopefully you like a deep red ( that's the color I would use if it were my home)
  • Shawna Bailey Shawna Bailey on Dec 15, 2016
    I love it! What about a cherry red or bright orange for a cheery contrasting color?
  • Julie M. Julie M. on Dec 15, 2016
    I would paint that door a lemony yellow. It will pop and complete your beautiful home. Enjoy!
  • Doris Crispell Easton Doris Crispell Easton on Dec 15, 2016
    There is only one rule about painting your front door:
    Paint it any color you want! Don't be afraid to pick your favorite color, no matter how bold. The greater the contrast, the more welcoming and happy it will feel.
    But, do not use the same bold color on trim or shutters.
    The single appearance of that one color guides guests to your door.
    Small accessories in the same color, like flower pots, placed right next to the door will create a broader welcome visual.
    IMHO, as a color professional, the era of red front doors has passed.
    • See 2 previous
    • Sandy Sandy on Apr 05, 2020

We (me) did end up painting it a bright lemony yellow and now have some lemony yellow accents too! Super cute

• Deborah Deborah on Dec 15, 2016
    Love your color on the house. I was thinking a navy door would be pretty, but I like the yellow replies from previous posts.
  • Margaret Lynn Maxwell Margaret Lynn Maxwell on Dec 15, 2016
    I would paint it a red colour but it would stand out a little too much maybe! mm
  • Bigcrayolakid Bigcrayolakid on Dec 15, 2016
    Corals
  • B J  Alexis B J Alexis on Dec 15, 2016
    A mid-tone yellow sounds good, but you could also try a pale green which would give and ocean/ marine motif to the house. A little too much white, could try painting the lattice that faces just the front, the same color as the door.
    For my two story Dutch Colonial I have two shades of yellow, main house and the shutters slightly deeper with white trim, but the front door really stands out painted a mid-tone "Cote D Azure" (Benjamin Moore?) teal like color.
    Good Luck.
  • Sandy Sandy on Dec 15, 2016
    Thank you all so much for your thoughts and advise. I'm still looking online at Benjamin Moore. I always wanted a pink door but my hubby has vetoed that idea and with this blue I agree!
  • Joan Joan on Dec 15, 2016
    Can't go wrong with a red door! Let everyone see it!!!
  • Ok if not pink, how about a raspberry? I love suggestions by others with yellows, corals, orange and of course red! How about a turquoise? If you do go red, it will certainly be very patriotic! ☺Please post a pic after you do paint it, as I bet we are all curious as to how it turned out. Thanks for sharing!
  • Sandy Sandy on Dec 15, 2016
    Oh I love the thought of a raspberry! Thanks so much and I will!
  • Archie Archie on Dec 16, 2016
    Deep burgundy.
  • User User on Dec 16, 2016
    Lime green
  • Sheila Crighton Sheila Crighton on Dec 16, 2016
    Love your blue siding. I agree with red... with an orange tone... even cooper.
  • Susan Susan on Dec 16, 2016
    a nice clear red!

I have another gorgeous option.....
  • Michelle Michelle on Dec 16, 2016
    Blue white and yellow is a my favorite combo! We are repainting our coral color Fl home blue with yellow white and dark blue trims. I vote for a yellow door! But all the ideas are good ones. I would buy small cans of different colors you like and paint large pieces of cardboard. Put them over your door and see which one looks better from all angles!
    • Irene Irene on Dec 17, 2016
      My suggestion exactly! I LOVE that shade of blue with yellow. It's so cheery. You could also take a picture of your house and color little pieces of paper to lay over the door to see which one you like best.
  • Barbara Weber Barbara Weber on Dec 16, 2016
    A bright Navy
  • Sandy Sandy on Dec 16, 2016
    Ohh love that!
  • Sandy Sandy on Dec 16, 2016
    That sounds beautiful I'll check it out!
  • Jody Price Jody Price on Dec 17, 2016
    Deep Red!
  • Sandy Sandy on Dec 17, 2016
    thank you!
  • Cle9686287 Cle9686287 on Dec 17, 2016
    What a cute house! Farmhouse glam shouts red to me. Personal favorite would be lime green though. I do like the navy idea. Go to one of the large paint company websites and find one that will let you upload a picture and play with paint ideas. Let us know what you pick!
  • Ada Ada on Dec 17, 2016
    Your front door is an invitation into your home. It should be a bright attraction grabber. I'd go for red, orange, bright greens, yellows. Choose your favorite!
  • Christy Roppel Christy Roppel on Dec 17, 2016
    Frankly, I would stay light. I think it will not only look cottage-like, but stay in fashion longer. I like pale yellow or light blue or even all white with cream trim.
    You can then add the drama on your front door. Any way you can change out the chain link to picket just on the front? If not how bout some flowers (not bushes) around the house. And, perhaps a window box.
    • See 1 previous
    • Cle9686287 Cle9686287 on Dec 19, 2016
      Sounds fabulou!
  • Melissa V Melissa V on Dec 17, 2016
    Looking at your photos it's hard to tell where the front door is-you have a lot of stuff out there! Is your door to the left of the steps (invisible from the gate) or to the right (hidden by railing and hanging pot)? Or is the one to the right a window? Help me help you 😄!
  • Biteofreality Biteofreality on Dec 18, 2016
    I think red would be to expected [nice but predictable .Not a big fan of yellow but it would work and be quite smart looking . I would go green [a lime or chartreuse for an unexpected pop of colour.
  • Annie Doherty Annie Doherty on Dec 18, 2016
    I love your house the colour is so fresh, I personally would paint a glossy navy blue or like the reader above a glossy lime or chatreuse green would really suit your home and make your wall colour pop. Good luck you have plenty of choice.
  • Virginia Virginia on Dec 18, 2016
    Barn RED!
  • Pat11183342 Pat11183342 on Dec 18, 2016
    Barn red would be traditional.
    If you want to draw the eye to the door I would go with a butter yellow and in growing season have lots of potted annual's near.
    If you don't want it to say HERE'S THE DOOR! But want a different county color than the rest of the house, I would suggest a country gray.
    Restore Rust-Oleum makes your paint and you can find their color chart online, I hope that helps you narrow it down.
    Good luck.
  • Lynne Forrestal Lynne Forrestal on Dec 18, 2016
    Wow! you could change the door color with the seasons,.... the barn red is the obvious.. but I would love to see a dark CORAL, bright but dark... but really any color will go with what you have. so get some of the sample pots , for $2-$3 each and try out a few to see what YOU like/// can you post the finished photo so we can see what you chose?
  • 861650 861650 on Dec 18, 2016
    So many great ideas here! I googled, "dark blue houses with white trim," and the color red seems to be the color of choice. In second place, a natural wood door. What I did. Went to hardware store and picked out eight different colors of red. Cut only the color out and glued them to a piece of copying paper. Taped it beside the door (outside.) Left it up for a week...maybe a few more days. Every day I looked at the samples, even stepping out in the yard for a better view. Confusion set in. Finally, I picked the one I loved best. Painted the door and it was perfect. No more guessing ever.
    • See 1 previous
    • 861650 861650 on Dec 19, 2016
      Glad to help, Sandy...don't like "do-overs!" Plus, more money and time and being totally frustrated. Hope it's warm enough where you live that you can paint outside because here in NC it is too cold to paint.
  • Gib6732847 Gib6732847 on Dec 18, 2016
    Red or dark yellow.
  • Jeannie Carle Jeannie Carle on Dec 18, 2016
    I dearly love the idea of a pretty gray! I like the natural idea, too, but I don't think it would stand out very much. Love your house! Instead of changing fences, personally, I'd plant small, pretty bushes on the outside of it :-)
  • Luvmycrafts Luvmycrafts on Dec 19, 2016
    i say red. but mostly I want to say that you have such a pretty, sweet home. :)
  • Jessica Giza Jessica Giza on Dec 19, 2016
    cantaloupe.
  • D fuhrman D fuhrman on Dec 19, 2016
    i think a brigh, happy lime green shade.
  • Deanna Nassar Deanna Nassar on Dec 19, 2016
    I think every color but white has been mentioned. What is your favorite color? Can't see what the door looks like but if it is one of those that has like little squares you could paint squares one color and rest of door another. Even if not present you could draw in your own squares with painter's tape. Living in NY, you should wait until it is warmer for best results. Use gloss latex and allow to dry thoughly before moving tape to finish door.