Asked on Dec 23, 2016

How do I take apart a pallet wood board?

Heather EdwardsMissyPhil
+7

I have question... I have pallet, I need to take apart. Wood in great condition and I want to repurpose it. How do I take it all apart with least cracks/distress? Pallet is large, double layer, lots of nails, large wood slats. Thanks!
    Janet Pizaro

www.wikihow.com/Take-Apart-a-Pallet-Without-Breaking it
  • John Preece
    John Preece

if you have a recipricating saw with a metal cutting blade , just cut the nails and leave them in situ, very little damage and about 2 mins per nail.
    William

Janet's link is great advice! I either pry the boards off with a flat pry bar or cut the through the nails with a reciprocating saw. Don't want to waste any wood. Then I use a bear claw nail remover to get the nails out. I also have a hand held metal detector to find any hidden surprise metal. You can use a strong magnet.
  • Mcgypsy9
    Mcgypsy9

If you want to keep most of the wood intact, you should get a crow bar or 2 of them actually works better. It's tough getting these things apart. With a LOT of patience you can do it and get most of it whole. If you have a recripricating saw or could borrow or rent one, this helps tremendously so that you can cut right through the nails but still pry it apart with the crow bars. The nails are much easier to get out once they are cut by using an awl or flat head screwdriver and a hammer and tapping them out of the wood. Good luck with this project! Let us know how it worked for you!
  • Phil
    Phil

The best way to take it apart is by using a sawall I found it very easy. I take mine apart this way
  • Missy
    Missy

This is great! Thanks
  • Missy
    Missy

Excellent!
  • Heather Edwards
    Heather Edwards

You tube has ideas