Asked on Feb 16, 2017

How can I fix peeling leather on handbag straps?

Ann48742136ChristinaLendy Counts
+9

anyone have any suggestions on how to repair or stop peeling leather on sides of handbag straps?
    William

A photo would help in determining how/if they can be repaired.
  • Hillela G.
    Hillela G.

I found this step by step tutorial to get you started, good luck! http://warfieldfamily.com/2013/02/how-to-fix-a-leather-purse-strap/
  • Lee
    Lee

Thank you just, just the information I needed.
  • Susie
    Susie

if it's peeling, are you sure it's leather?? Just wondering.
  • Tova Pearl
    Tova Pearl

You might want to consider that if it is peeling, its not real leather - the pvc "leather" begins to crack and peel when exposed to extreme temperature changes. (mine always start peeling when our very hot summers turn to fall. It is SO ANNOYING. ) Usually, the better the quality, the more chance you can fix it, though real leather is the most fixable :-)
    • Dane
      Dane

Is there any solution for a fake leather peeling off? I dont want to just throw my bag for its sentimental value.. Do u have any advice? Thank you very much..

• Anon
    Anon

I have a purse like that...I know it is not real leather...It is a thinnish soft material, a pouch-like shape, in a muted metallic color...fairly recent, up to date...
    but it now has tears in the material where there is a wide decorative fold.
    I was going to toss it out...figuring I could not fix it...Help?
    • Nah
      Nah

I am looking for a solution too. I figure you could just sew some binding over it, or pull off the rest of the peeling PVC and go over the material underneath with a Sharpie or some kind of fabric paint that will dry flexible an shiny. I'm going to try anyway because I don't want to throw away the otherwise lovely bag!

• Lendy Counts
    Lendy Counts

Find a shoe repair shop. I have had several purse straps replaced. Of course in our disposable society, becoming more difficult to find.
  • Christina
    Christina

I got help with this at a shoe repair shop.

• Ann48742136
    Ann48742136

Thank you for your advice, I will also ask them for help. I wanted to fix my bag myself, but I only made it worse. I have a leather Chanel bag that I bought at yardsale 5 years ago. It was not new, but it was in good condition. And now peeling leather appeared on my handbag and I was very upset because I thought I would have to throw it away. This bag is dear to me, because I have very pleasant memories associated with this time when I bought it. So I'd like to fix it. Of course I can buy a new handbag. Because I know a site where you can find high-quality replicas of world brands. If you are interested, you can read here mau-fashion.com Chanel designer handbags guide. But a new handbag won't replace this one, which has sentimental meaning for me.