Storage Bin to Toy Box

$25

Do you have one of those plastic storage bins lying around? You know, the ones we use for moving, storing decorations and tucking away clutter? I've found another great use for these bins - a toy box! Create a playful toy box with a bin, fabric and a little glue.

Get All the Materials for this Project:

- Plastic Storage bin (with lid) (Amazon)

- Fabric (I used a curtain panel) (Amazon)

- Krylon Spray Adhesive (Amazon)

- Hot glue gun & sticks (Amazon)

- Wood Fence Post Caps ( x 4) (Amazon)

- Lock Nuts ( x 4) (Amazon)

- Wooden Letters (optional) (Amazon)

This is the plastic storage bin. I'm sure you have one of these in your home. If not, Amazon carries a whole selection you can use for this project.

If you want to buy a similar storage bin,  click here.

Step 1: Measure and iron your fabric

It's best to first iron your fabric so you don't have any wrinkles. Then measure and cut it out according to the size of your bin. Make sure to cut one piece of fabric per side. Leave about an extra inch on each piece.

Step 2: Measure & Cut

Cut out one piece of fabric per side (including bottom and box lid). Leave about an extra inch on each piece.

Step 3: Glue the fabric to the bin

Using your spray adhesive, spray the glue on one side of the bin. Let it dry until it's tacky and clear. Only spray one side at a time.

Apply the first fabric piece onto your tacky glued surface. Smooth out any bumps and lumps and follow the edges of the bin.

Continue gluing and apply your fabric to each side of the bin.

Step 4: Add fabric to all sides, bottom and lid of the bin

Using the same method as above, apply the fabric pieces to the bottom of the bin and the lid. You don't have to do the bottom, but I think this makes the bin look nicer.

Don't forget to cover your bin lid too!

Step 5: Clean up the edges

Fold under any raw edges of your fabric pieces. Using your hot glue gun, adhere the folded edge to the bin. Continue tucking and gluing all four sides of your bin, as well as the bottom and the bin lid. This makes your bin look much cleaner.

Step 6: Make holes at the bottom of the bin

Using a drill or a screwdriver head, poke one hole per corner into your plastic bin. These are the holes your fence post end caps will be going into, so you need to ensure the holes are large enough for your end cap screws.

It might take a bit of effort to cut through the plastic, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Step 7: Screw in your end caps

Grab those cute little feet and place one on each corner above the hole you created. If you want, you can paint the caps to match the fabric of your bin, but I liked the natural wood look, so I kept them the way they are.

Then flip your bin over and screw one lock nut onto each of the end cap bits. Tighten each one firmly, so your legs are stable and not wobbly.

Step 8: Embellish with wood letters

This step is completely optional, but I chose to add some wooden letters to the front of the bin with hot glue.

I'm so thrilled with the end result, and I can't believe how much stuff actually fits in the bin. Now I have a place to store all of my kids' toys, and it looks nice, too!

• Michele LaGamma

My hesitation with this project is the danger to the kids it's for. Would more holes drilled in help it be safe?

• Kimberly

This project is adorable! Great share!

• Stacey Chapman Biehl

I’ve never seen a tote be air tight so I wouldn’t be worried about a kid being stuck in it nor do the lids seal well enough that a moving kicking kid could keep a lid on it and how could a kiddo get in it and seal that lid?

• Angelia

just wow ... crazy

Love the idea for so many uses around the house!!

• Kat Rogers

Such a Brilliant Idea, as others have already mentioned, for storage for Us Grown~Up~Kids And OUR TOYS {RAISE YOUR HAND IF YOU'RE AN OBSESSED D.I.Y./ARTS&CRAFTS SUPPLIES COLLECTOR}!!😁

Thanks for sharing this cute idea!

• Lorraine J Ohnson Farley

It also would make a nice foot stool put some foam in top of bin