Asked on Feb 28, 2017

Best way to clean this kind of rug?

JAMES A ROLLIGeoffJill Church Gruber
+16

Hey guys! You probably can barely see the stain, but it is there! I’ve never washed a rug like this before…help? Thanks!

Janet Pizaro

I would first try blotting the stain with club soda being careful not to spread it.If that does not work use a dab of mild dish soap and water and again just dab it.
  • Tina
    Tina

try using hydrogen peroxdide. pour it on wait till it stops bubbles then blot dry.
  • Charly
    Charly

Be careful with the peroxide as it will sometimes bleach out the fabric. Is this an area rug or a wall to wall carpet? What caused the stain? I would try a little bit of blue Dawn dish detergent after sprinkling with baking soda and spray with some white vinegar. Hope this helps.
  • Alita Knupp Kiss
    Alita Knupp Kiss

I took a rug similar to this-frieze shag, bound and jute back-out on my deck last summer. I wet it and scrubbed by hand with soap front and back then hosed it off. Once it was no longer sopping wet, I threw it over the clothesline to finish drying. If it didn't turn out, I was going to throw it out, but it turned out fine. I put it back down in my dining room and vacuumed it to fluff it back up...looks great.
  • Noelle Statter
    Noelle Statter

I spray white vinegar, use a tooth brush to rub in and blot with a clean white cloth on my rugs for spots and it is amazing how many come out!!
  • Joanne C. Wanciak
    Joanne C. Wanciak

A little sponging with equal amts Peroxide and Blue Dawn. Cleans spots like this . I love this because it works on most fabrics and is very safe to use. I haven't ruined anything in the years I have used it.
  • Jill Church Gruber
    Jill Church Gruber

I have put smaller rugs on the drive way, used good detergent and Oxyclean then rinse with hose and squeegee with the top of a ladder, hang it over lawn furniture to drip dry and it came out great.
  • Geoff
    Geoff

Use one of the dog or cat urine bacteria/enzyme formulas. After cleaning respray and leave it to work deeper into the carpet.
  • Geoff
    Geoff

also works better than solvents, on kitchen grease
  • JAMES A ROLLI
    JAMES A ROLLI

CLEAN GREASE STAINS FROM RUG BY USING CLUB SODA AND SCRUB GENTLY GO HARDER IF STAIN REMAINS WHITE TOWEL NO PAPER