Asked on Mar 5, 2017

Has anyone used a shower liner for curtain backing/liner?

MaryJane NuskeyLtt834476Karen
+20

I'm making new curtains in several rooms using cotton calico fabric. I'm trying to find an inexpensive -as possible lol- way to give a little more weight to them and to keep the sun from fading my fabric. I'm also considering repurposing some older sheets. Any ideas? What have y'all tried? Thanks :)
  • Hillela G.
    Hillela G.

Thats a great idea, I wouldn't have thought of it but it should solve your problem- good luck!!
    • Karen
      Karen

I sure hope you're right Hillela! It would be very affordable, I just don't want the project to look tacky! Thanks so much for the encouragement!
  • MaryJane Nuskey
    MaryJane Nuskey

I don't see any reason you couldn't use either one. I often use sheets as a backing, finding them way more inexpensive than yard material. A gently used sheet could be used. I go to outlet stores and look through the clearance section for sheets. I try to get king size. The shower curtain could work too...just don't get plastic lol.
    • Karen
      Karen

Carolyn, thanks for your input! I have used the window film on some large bay windows I had in a previous kitchen. That section covered nearly the entire west wall! While it did provide a beautiful view, it sure got hot in that kitchen in the Oklahoma summer especially! I'm pretty sure I've decided against trying the new shower liner Idea lol.
  • You can also get inexpensive muslin that comes in very wide widths. Just make sure to wash it first!! It shrinks like mad.
  • Eroque022810
    Eroque022810

Plastic or vinyl will make noise andlook cheap. Go with fabric. Sheets would be great and the hem is done for you!
    • Karen
      Karen

That's a good point about the noise the shower liners could make Eroque022810, I hadn't considered that. I'm all for some work being done for me! Sheets i think will be a better option.
  • Anna Anima Mundi
    Anna Anima Mundi

Vinyl would make it hard, I think, to launder, dry, or iron the curtains properly.
    • Karen
      Karen

I agree Anna, esp the ironing lol! After giving more thought to the actual workings of using a vinyl shower liner, I don't know what I was thinking! Well I guess I was just too focused on trying to save a few bucks lol! But like the old saying, money's not everything! Thanks for responding.
  • Debbie M
    Debbie M

I haven't compared cost but I see everyone recommending painters drop cloth for curtain material use. That might be another option for liners to consider? Good luck.
    • Bbunny42
      Bbunny42

Also, in a recent post, someone noted that a fabric called RonLoc (sp?) at Joann's was very wide and about $7 per yard. You might check into this; sorry I don't know anything else about it. Sounds like it might be some sort of liner. Also, the liner could be hung on a separate curtain rod from the curtains.
  • Barb Calder
    Barb Calder

I have gone to good will and picked up old sheets with no holes and used them for liners in curtains. worked great and cheap. I just sewed them just under the pocket rod and left the finished edge of sheet for hem. Hope this helps.

• Karen
    Karen

It's really satisfying, to me, to find good usable things to use as fabric! I have made several purses in the past from jeans purchased at our Goodwill. Also fuzzy little plush animals from old furry coats found at thrift stores lol! But back to the curtains lol. Yes your suggestion does help Barb, and I'm thinking im going to use some repurposed sheets for my liners. Thanks for responding
  • Ltt834476
    Ltt834476

I made some black out curtains for my granddaughters room. I found some material that had the heavy weight feel, sturdy and great for blacking out the son. It felt some what like vinyl. It was easy to cut and sew. Came out great. Blocked the sun out and kept the room warmer in the winter in Indiana & cooler in the summer. I think I found the material at wall Wal-Mart or Joann's
  • Karen
    Karen

I have talked to several people who have mentioned the blackout curtains, but i don't have any experience with that sort of fabric. I think I'll check in to it further now. We have Walmart and Hobby Lobby here in our area, but not Joann's :( lol. I think the blackout curtains would work pretty well in the two bedrooms. it gets pretty warm here in southern Oklahoma in the summertime. thanks for the info Lttamayo!!
  • Ltt834476
    Ltt834476

That was my first time using it. I found it very, very easy to use. Very happy with it.
  • MaryJane Nuskey
    MaryJane Nuskey

Sorry, should have been more specific. I was referring to polyester shower liners, not vinyl