What's the best string to use for wind chimes?

+30
trying to make wind chimes
  • Ginger the farm gal Ginger the farm gal on Mar 13, 2017
    Fishing line works and is very strong and not very noticeable, tie it as you would be putting it on a fishing hook or you can burn the tips after a square knot.
  • Shaley Shaley on Mar 13, 2017
    I have tried a few that failed, fishing line dry rotted. Regular cording, same, I thin a thinner nylon cordage would work, or that clear cording with a wire center.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Mar 13, 2017
    Heavy fishing line would be the best.
  • William William on Mar 13, 2017
    25 or 30 lb. test fishing line, dental floss.
  • Pat Pat on Mar 13, 2017
    Fishing line dries out & breaks. Nylon cord works very well. Good Luck!
  • Queti @ Fancy Momma Queti @ Fancy Momma on Mar 15, 2017
    I agree nylon works the best.
  • Arekaybee Arekaybee on Mar 16, 2017
    I have to re-work my chimes every year. I use Mason's Line from Home Depot. It loses some of its color during the year, but it normally holds up. Good luck.

• Debg Debg on Mar 18, 2017
    I am going to try button thread. Heavy duty thread and it is waxed. Has anyone else tried this?
  • Claude Claude on Mar 20, 2017
    I USE medium fishing twine..it really lasts. You can also use beads to tie it to and prevent the twine from pulling out...with the wind. Aluminum pipe, small pottery pots, old keys, beads, buttons.
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Apr 27, 2018
    Fishing twine.
  • Christina Christina on Jun 04, 2018
    I just went to Wal-Mart and asked for some 80 lb fishing line. That immediately acquired some attention. I was asked what I was trying to catch, and I replied, Wind Chimes. We laughed a bit, and then the sales person said, "What you need is 'Spider Wire'." I went "Huh?" He proceeded to show me that I could tie it and the knot would 'never' come out. Well, I bought 50 pound test, came home and threaded the Spider Wire through a 'crimp tube' going both directions. I crimped it, and then I tied a double knot in the Spider Wire. Guess what? Two of my large wind chimes now have their 'sails' back. Tomorrow, I will be using the Spider Wire to rehang the tube chimes. In case you have let your tubes fall off without checking their hanging locations, because it 'does' matter, go to this website and it will tell you where they should be place about the top template. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/821695894485025268/?lp=true There are several sets of instructions for differing numbers of hanging chimes. I hope this helps.
  • Far33658384 Far33658384 on Jun 23, 2018
    this is a great site...thank you!
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Jun 23, 2018
    Clear fishing line
  • Melody Melody on Jun 30, 2018
    Fishing line is the way to go however, I am inclined to braid the fishing line x three because I am hanging lite weight cast iron. I will see whether it works or not?
  • Roro Roro on Jul 30, 2018

no one's tried metal wire?

• Kim D. Colburn Kim D. Colburn on Jan 22, 2019

What you need is galvanized aircraft cable.

• BL BL on Feb 05, 2019

You can buy nano paracord from Ace Hardware. It is UV, rot and mildew resistant. And, it comes in a variety of colors :)

• A A on Feb 13, 2019

No answer, looking for answers

• Ronald Patrick Reeves Ronald Patrick Reeves on Apr 24, 2019

In AZ heat, fish cord, string... all rot to quickly. I think a WIRE would be best as others think so too. But, anyone find how thin a wire is needed? Where to purchase???

• Ruth Ruth on Oct 22, 2019

amazon .com has craft wire that is stainless steel .Not sure about the gauge They have 22,226 and 30

• Zeezee457 Zeezee457 on Mar 01, 2020

What if you used upholstery thread. Fishing line seems to break. Twine breaks. I am going to make a wind chime out of sea shells. I live in South Texas where we have alot of salt air.

• Kim Black Kim Black on Apr 18, 2020

I have one that’s made with steel jack chain. I bought it about 10 years ago and it holds up in this crazy TEXAS weather with no problem.

• Harry Wright Harry Wright on Jun 23, 2020

i make windchimes the best string to use is paracord micro m90 it is 90 lbs test rot and midew risistant. will withstand up too 80mph winds when no metal contact inserts in tne tube will prevent that i leave mine up all the time i do not take them down because of weather

• Carole Carole on Jul 01, 2020

what kind/size of needle did you use to thread the top/head? I have ordered the paracord micro m90 from KnotYourMomsMacrame and need a needle. an upholstery needle was recommended... but size?

• Dorothyblair Dorothyblair on Nov 05, 2020

You can buy special string for wind chimes or line for fishing rods.

https://windchimesguide.com/reviews/stone-wind-chimes/

• Linsay Mueller Linsay Mueller on Apr 09, 2021

A little late, but has anyone made a wind chime using sea glass. What worked best? I don't want to make holes in the glass- looking to tie them together somehow