Asked on Mar 20, 2017

How can I make windchimes?

VictoriaPJV Smith
+11

For garden or indoor areas.
  • Kate Baxter
    Kate Baxter

http://www.homedit.com/how-to-make-your-own-wind-chimes-15-amazing-ideas/ I have a friend who made hers out of pieces of cutlery she picked up at the thrift store. She used a small trivet/tray as the top and then just tied off the forks, knives etc onto it. Strangely enough it was quite melodious.
    • Gina
      Gina

I too would check Pinterest, you will be inundated with ideas, and they are so simple to make, you'll be surprised. You'll have so much fun making them and their are some for every taste, you might be able to start a business selling them....lol 😁
  • Claude
    Claude

Can you get aluminum pipe. You need 6 graduated sized pieces, some fishing twine.....i love windchimes!

• Claude
    Claude

You can cut the pipe with a pipe cutter.

• PJ
      PJ

I have a good pipe cutter. I just would love the measurements. Cheers.
  • Shirley Heikkinen
    Shirley Heikkinen

Get flat pieces of glass in various colors cut in rectangles of approximate equal width and various lengths, hang using fishing line from a wooden embroidery hoop.
  • She21065614
    She21065614

That sounds like my first wind chimes my parents bought me for Easter when I was about 9.........I loved it.
  • War15939090
    War15939090

Electrical conduit pipe (metal pipe that electric wires are run in) the bigger pipe makes the sweetest tones

• V Smith
    V Smith

Before you build your wind chimes I would urge you to consider you neighbors. How close are the houses? Do they like to have their windows open at night? Will they love the sound/noise of your wind chimes as much as you will? Will you mind if they sneak over to your yard while you are out and remove/destroy them?

• PJ
    PJ

Thanks very helpful.
  • Victoria
    Victoria

I purchased copper tubing and a pipe cutter from Home Depot. I cut the tubing into various lengths, then pierced holes in the tops, on either side. I strung them onto a wooden disk with fishing line, and they are wonderfully melodic just like that. But if you hang them where there is not much wind movement,you may want to hang another small wooden piece in the center by fishing line. The copper gets a beautiful patina from being outdoors .