Asked on Mar 30, 2017

I'm looking for window treatment ideas for our kitchen windows...

Renee ConleyKathy BitzanPammo2003
+7

I have 2 double hung windows that are side by side and face a busy street. So I want privacy at night but still want the inside to look pretty and bright.

• Allinthefamilysingers
    Allinthefamilysingers

looks like u have pretty big windows on the bottom Nothing works or looks much prettier than wood blind sand they close tight. They got the imitation now that are a lot cheaper. What I did on smaller window I covered with a clear contact paper and I took modpodge and mixed in a green food color and painted the contact paper. Later when we put up a high fence there at the window.The contact paper pulled right off.
    Janet Pizaro

I would look into roman shades.Privacy at night and sunlight during the day.
  • Wood shutters? My other thought was also roman shades.
  • Teresa
    Teresa

I dream of making plywood or foamboard cutouts in shape of buildings to recreate my hometowns streets and paint the storefronts to replicate the stores I remember. Or you could modpodge photo copies of houses or the buildings as well. A fun project I am hoping to get done before I'm to old-LOL
  • Jane
    Jane

I just bought a couple of panels of black-out curtains in burgundy (white on the outside) for our large kitchen window. You can close them to preserve energy in the winter or to block out noise. You can also place them at the sides of the window to bring light in. I purchased them at Wal-Mart at a very good price and they look beautiful!

Good luck!
  • Charly
    Charly

How about cafe curtains? But two pair on each window. This way you can close them both at night and just open the top when you're not home and when you are home you can open both pair. I made these type of curtains for my daughter in law's kitchen because they live in a mobile home development and the homes are very close together. Looks great and it does the job.
  • Pammo2003
    Pammo2003

I have a similar situation and I put up top down- bottom up shades. I find that I leave the top 1/3 open almost all the time as it allows the view of the sky and trees while still giving privacy. In some rooms I added curtains just for the look. you can still lift the bottom if these are windows you will open. Mine are light filtering and cordless from JC Penney....love them!
    • Janey Thiel
      Janey Thiel

These are what my son put in his home in all living areas. He just loves them. They are very versatile, you have total control of the view in and out at all times.
  • Kathy Bitzan
    Kathy Bitzan

I like the idea of the top down shades the best. I had a neighbor who hung her curtains across the middle of her windows so she always had plenty of light coming in but was closed off from the view on the bottom. So it depends on what you want to accomplish and your budget. I suppose you could also mod podge some lace over the windows also or a design to mask the outside and still leave the light in.
  • Renee Conley
    Renee Conley

I'd definitely do shutters on the bottom for privacy and something lighter on the top, like the top of cafe curtains.