Ugly popcorn ceiling discolored with bald spots!Suggestions welcome..

+8
q ugly popcorn ceiling discolored with bald spots suggestions welcome, animals, appliance repair, appliances, architecture, basement ideas, bathroom ideas, bedroom ideas, bug extermination, bug repellent, chalk paint, chalkboard paint, christmas decorations, cleaning tips, closet, composting, concrete masonry, concrete countertops, concrete creations, concrete repair, container gardening, cosmetic changes, countertops, craft rooms, crafts, curb appeal, decks, decoupage, dining room ideas, diy, doors, earthworms, easter decorations, electrical, entertainment rec rooms, exterior home painting, fabric cleaning, fences, fireplace cleaning, fireplace makeovers, fireplaces mantels, fixing windows, flooring, flowers, foyer, furniture cleaning, furniture id, furniture refurbishing, furniture repair, garage doors, garages, gardening, gardening pests, gardening tools, go green, halloween decorations, hardwood floors, hibiscus, home decor, home decor cleaning, home decor dilemma, home decor id, home improvement, home maintenance repairs, home office, home security, homesteading, house cleaning, how to, hvac, hydrangea, indoor pests, interior home painting, kitchen backsplash, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, kitchen island, landscape, large home improvement projects, laundry rooms, lawn care, lighting, living room ideas, major home repair, mantels, mason jars, minor home repair, organizing, outdoor furniture, outdoor living, outdoors cleaning, paint colors, painted furniture, painted furniture finishes, painting, painting cabinets, painting concrete, painting over finishes, painting upholstered furniture, painting wood furniture, pallet, patio, patriotic decor ideas, perennial, pest control, pet stain cleaning, pets, pets animals, plant care, plant id, plumbing, ponds water features, pool designs, porches, products, raised garden beds, real estate, removing paint from furniture, repurpose building materials, repurpose furniture, repurpose household items, repurpose unique pieces, repurpose windows, repurposing upcycling, reupholstoring, roofing, rustic furniture, seasonal holiday decor, shabby chic, shelving ideas, small bathroom ideas, small home improvement projects, spas, stairs, storage ideas, succulents, terrarium, thanksgiving decorations, tile flooring, tiling, tools, reupholster, urban living, valentines day ideas, wall decor, window treatments, windows, woodworking projects, wreaths
  • Swe21975614 Swe21975614 on Apr 04, 2017
    Armstrong ceiling tiles installed with easy up clip system.
    • Joanie Joanie on Apr 06, 2017
      We had to do this and we did something similar. I know one thing, it will be back....trendy again.......whatever goes around comes around, we all know that........
  • Dgreen Dgreen on Apr 04, 2017
    On youtube there is a video of how to remove the popcorn with water spray, wall paper scraper, and a vacuum cleaner.
  • Jean Jean on Apr 05, 2017
    you have limited options...
    cover it,
    or remove it (and deal with whatever is underneath).
    if your home is more than 40 years old?
    assume the stuff has asbestos in it, which means a careful removal of soggy mess while wearing disposable clothing, a hat, and SOME KIND OF MASK.

there are patches on the market, I have never seen them look like anything but patches.
  • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Apr 05, 2017
    I removed mine years ago then had it redone. I know, I'm crazy. Actually I loved it in my dining room with some silver glitter sprayed on when they installed it. However after a lot of years, it was a mess. I decided to paint it, but the wet paint brought it down. So I finished bringing it down, cleaned every thing up and had it resprayed with the silver glitter. I still love it. (Can't help myself.....)

Bottom line, take it down as described above. It doesn't look good that way and from my experience there is no way to make it look better without redoing it. If you don't like it you'll have to take it down. BTW, I used large cheap plastic sheets and taped them to the top of the wall where it met the ceiling. Then I taped more across the floor from hanging piece to hanging piece so everything was covered. It made cleanup much easier. Good luck. :)
    • See 2 previous
    • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Apr 08, 2017
      Here ya go Ashley, I took a pic for you. Sorry for what must have seemed like multiple posts. I put it in the wrong place at first.

• Swe21975614 Swe21975614 on Apr 06, 2017
    Trust me -- I will shout to the rooftops NEVER have popcorn ceilings!!!! Through the years I've scraped most of them, but last two times had ceiling tiles put in (Country Classic Plank) and WOW -- I love those two rooms!!! Rooms were fairly large (12 x 24) and the cost wasn't bad. Hmmm maybe Armstrong should give be a commission for telling people how wonderful it makes a room look again?!
  • Debby Dale Debby Dale on Apr 06, 2017
    You can paint it . Use a sealer primer on the spot/let it dry. Paint the entire ceiling with a roller brush used for masonry. Do not apply a lot of pressure like you would painting a wall or brick, just paint it lightly. You may have to do two coats and Some of the popcorn will come off, but most will stay in place. This will cost you for a small can of sealer/primer like kilz or zinsser. A gallon or 2 of paint depending on the amount of surface to be painted and a roller, roller cover and a cheap extension pole to reach the ceiling. If you hate the popcorn and want to remove it, go for it, it is a messy job and it is best to use a pump sprayer to soak the popcorn ahead of trying to scrape it off. The popcorn has something in it that adheres it to the ceiling so you have to really get it wet and wait a few minutes before you scrape or you will be doing a lot of rescraping or leave little spots that will show up when you paint. Also, clear all furniture and cover the floor really good. If it gets on carpet, it is pure*&$%#@ to get out. I would love to see what you do with it.
  • Rusta Rusta Rusta Rusta on May 16, 2017
    Check this solution at www.floridaceiling.com can help you with this.