Cori Widen
Cori Widen
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Forest Hills, NY
Asked on Apr 24, 2017

How can I prevent mold in grout?

Gau22339224Cori WidenWanda Stephens
+7

In our bathroom, the grout in the shower gets mold - I find myself scrubbing once a week so that it never gets bad. Is it possible to prevent it?
  • Lea Swenson

Drying it right after use (squeegee) is a good start. Is your grout sealed? If mold is there, you may need to remove that grout, re-grout, then seal it. Should re-seal every couple of years.
  • If your bathroom has an exhaust fan, use it. That is what they are there for. If you have a window to the outside, open it up, or at least leave it a crack open. And as Lea suggested, seal the grout. If you have no idea - err on the side of caution and do it. Can be a stinky process, have the kids and pets out of the house. You have far better things to do with your life and time than scrubbing grout! 😊
  • Kit

spray with a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water. Let dry!!!
  • 7218805

I believe there are mold-retardant sprays on the market...perhaps ask at a hardware store? I also know that some grout comes with a mold retardant.
  • Cori Widen

I'm going to do all of this! Thanks everyone!
  • Shirley Heikkinen

Car wax! Clean your shower thoroughly and let it dry completely, then apply liquid car wax. Give the shower stall a nice even coat, allow to dry completely before using. If you have glass shower doors you can use it on the inside of the doors too! Never wax over a shower or glass that isn't completely clean.
  • Michele Smart

Never use bleach. It causes the mold to grow. Once cleaned you can keep a spray bottle of vinegar in the shower and spray it on the grout to keep the mold from growing.
  • Wanda Stephens

mix 1/4 C bleach & 3/4 C water in spray bottle & spray affected areas after every shower. No rinsing required.
  • Cori Widen

Thanks everyone!!
  • Gau22339224

Clean with vinegar and let dry thoroughly. Seal with grout sealer.