Lori
Lori
  • Saint John, IN
Asked on Apr 28, 2017

I would like to create an area for birds outside my kitchen window.

GoldrushgalLandsharkinncNancy Turner
+4

Presently, I have birdfeeders on shepard hooks and a concrete birdbath. Birdseed is EVERYWHERE (thanks to the squirrels). I thought about framing an area then filling with rocks or mulch and maybe some hostas.
  • Do you have a question? I think your idea sounds pretty good.
  • PHa! My birds are way messier then the squirrels and raccoons. 😆 Here is the view out my kitchen window and an outside photo. Excuse the mess, I am having sprinkler and drain work done and it is REALLY WINDY . . .

When the sprinklers and drains are repaired I am ordering more tumbled gravel to spruce it up and will put things back in order, but at least you have something to reference.
    , Looking out kitchen window, Outsidesphoto Extremely windy today How do you like the fig tree Popped up on its own there going to leave it to provide shade during the long hot summers
  • Nancy Turner

I don't have squirrels getting into my feeders, the birds do a great job of spreading the wealth on their own. All the squirrels and chipmunks need to do is eat it off the ground. I have mine over ferns and hostas so it isn't real noticeable.
  • Landsharkinnc

Several choices...use hull-less seeds...a bit mire expensive, bot no mess. Invest in squirrel baffles and/or squirrel proof feeders. If?? You enjoy the squirrels, invest in corn cob feeders, peanut feeders and position away from the bird feeder area. Always privide water in a shallow dish, and keep it clean
  • Goldrushgal

I read if you attach a slinky to top of the shepherds hook so that the shepherds hook runs through the slinky and let it just hang down when the squirrels try to climb the hook they grab the slinky and slide down.